Thoughts on the AP poll: Duke men's basketball loses No. 1 ranking to Gonzaga

<p>A lopsided defeat to North Carolina sent Duke out of the top spot in the AP Top 25.</p>

A lopsided defeat to North Carolina sent Duke out of the top spot in the AP Top 25.

With just three weeks until Selection Sunday, things are starting to shape up across college basketball, as seen in the latest AP poll:  

Frenzy at the top

Duke's one-week reign at the top of the AP Top 25 ended Monday, as Gonzaga took over the No. 1 ranking. North Carolina, who embarrassed the Blue Devils 88-72 Wednesday night on Duke's home court, rose to No. 5, replacing a Tennessee squad that has dropped two of its last three contests. The Bulldogs are the third No. 1 in as many weeks, with the Blue Devils and Volunteers previously leading the pack.

Big Least

Marquette is the sole Big East team in this week's Top 25, checking in at No. 10. Reigning National Champion Villanova had a particularly rough few days, and is amidst its first three-game losing streak in more than five years. The Wildcats fell all the way from No. 17 to out of the rankings. Just the Golden Eagles and Wildcats rank in the top 50 of KenPom.com's efficiency rankings, indicating that Big East representation may be slim come Selection Sunday.

Wofford earns No. 24

Although most Blue Devil fans are most familiar with Wofford for its unlikely upset against North Carolina last season, the Terriers can ball. No. 24 Wofford is currently on a 15-game winning streak, and has a perfect 16-0 record in the Southern Conference. With the nation's tenth-best offense, the Terriers could be a scary matchup in March Madness.

Complete Rankings

1. Gonzaga
  2. Virginia
  3. Duke
  4. Kentucky
  5. North Carolina
  6. Michigan State
  7. Tennessee
  8. Houston
  9. Michigan
  10. Marquette
  11. Texas Tech
  12. Nevada
  13. LSU
  14. Purdue
  15. Kansas 
  16. Kansas State
  17. Maryland
  18. Florida State
  19. Wisconsin
  20. Virginia Tech
  21. Buffalo
  22. Iowa
  23. Cincinnati
  24. Wofford
  25. Washington

Share and discuss “Thoughts on the AP poll: Duke men's basketball loses No. 1 ranking to Gonzaga” on social media.