Political operative in NC's 9th Congressional District debacle indicted in ballot fraud case

The plot has thickened in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District. 

McCrae Dowless, a campaign contractor of former Congressional candidate Mark Harris, was indicted Wednesday on counts of obstruction of justice, conspiracy to commit obstruction of justice and illegally possessing an absentee ballot. WRAL reported that charges have to do with his "handling of absentee ballots."

The North Carolina State Board of Elections recently unanimously decided to declare a new election in the district following voter fraud accusations against Harris' campaign. 

Harris, a Republican, beat out Democrat Dan McCready, Trinity '05, by less than one thousand votes in the November 2018 election. Harris has since decided not to run in the new election.  CNN reported that Harris said his health and a "necessary surgery" were reasons why he did not run. 

McCready, however, will run again.

"While few things in my life have brought me more joy than getting to meet and know the people of this incredible part of North Carolina, and while I have been overwhelmed by the honor of their support for me as the Congressman-elect of NC-9, I owe it to Beth, my children and my six grandchildren to make the wisest decision for my health,” Harris said in a statement. 

Harris hired the now-indicted Dowless to drive up voting, WRAL reported. Dowless did not testify before the North Carolina State Board of Elections—his employees testified that he "paid them to collect ballots." WRAL reported that an employee said that Dowless' team filled in absentee ballots and that Dowless had instructed her on what to testify. 

Four other individuals were also indicted on charges related to the case. Lorrin Freeman, Wake County district attorney, said the investigation is still "very much" ongoing. 

Dowless' attorney, Cynthia Adams Singletary, told WRAL that she she was “unavailable” and had no comment. 

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “Political operative in NC's 9th Congressional District debacle indicted in ballot fraud case” on social media.