IFC implements changes following fraternity suspensions for hazing allegations

Interfraternity Council issued a statement Monday regarding hazing allegations that resulted in the interim suspension of some fraternity chapters at Duke.

Signed by IFC chapter presidents, the statement includes ways the organizations will address hazing—such as the creation of an internal task force, mandatory chapter-specific dialogues using resources from DuWell and the Kenan Institute for Ethics, a day-long summit about the harms of hazing and a partnership with the North American Interfraternity Conference. 

IFC President Matthew Conley, a senior, said that IFC came up with these steps "following various meetings with administrators and campus leaders, the IFC executive team and the IFC chapter presidents."

In the statement, the chapter presidents also made a commitment regarding ongoing hazing.

"If any additional hazing allegations come to light during these current suspensions, we fully oblige ourselves to temporarily suspend all IFC chapter activity," the statement reads.

Last week, Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, said that Duke's chapters of Delta Tau Delta and Pi Kappa Phi fraternities were suspended, and all new member activities at Sigma Phi Epsilon were suspended pending a hazing investigation. 

Over the weekend, Moneta wrote in an email that there was "nothing more to report" on those investigations.

"The IFC aims to serve chapters in preparing members to assume responsibility, accountability and leadership in their lives," the statement noted. "In doing so, we must hold true to our values—particularly, the value of accepting consequences for one’s actions."

Read the full statement in an ad placed on the last page of today's paper:

Editor's note: This article was updated Monday afternoon to reflect that the statement didn't say that IFC chapters were going to have dialogues with DuWell and Kenan, but that they were going to be having dialogues using resources from DuWell and Kenan.

Likhitha Butchireddygari

Follow Likhitha on Twitter

Class of 2019

Editor-in-chief 2017-18, 

Local and national news department head 2016-17

Born in Hyderabad, India, Likhitha Butchireddygari moved to Baltimore at a young age. She is pursuing a Program II major entitled "Digital Democracy and Data" about the future of the American democracy.

Share and discuss “IFC implements changes following fraternity suspensions for hazing allegations” on social media.