Icona Pop to headline P-Checks concert

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons | The electropop duo Icona Pop is headlining P-Checks.

Icona Pop is coming to Krzyzewskiville. 

The Swedish electropop duo was announced as the headliner for the annual P-Checks concert Monday morning through a reveal video by Duke University Union. MC4D, a Small Town Records artist, will open for the pair of Caroline Hjelt and Aino Jawo. 

"In the past, we’ve had Vic Mensa, Wale and Blackbear for KVille so we see this as a natural step in the concert’s evolution," senior Dylan Posner, chair of DUU's campus concerts committee, wrote in an email. 

Icona Pop, formed in 2009, is best known for "I Love It"—which it released with Charli XCX in 2012 and hit as high as No. 7 on Billboard's Hot 100—and "Emergency," which it released in May 2015 with Erik Hassle. 

"DUU’s mission has long been to bring really unique voices and experiences to campus," Posner wrote. "This is the first time in recent memory—at least since current seniors have been on campus—that we’re having a female artist perform on an outdoor stage, and for free to students."

The Swedish group won a pair of Teen Choice awards in 2013 for "Choice Music Breakout Group" and "Choice Single: Group."

"Icona Pop brings a unique blend of pop songs and have featured on a ton of more recent hits," Posner wrote.

The concert will feature a video screen on stage—the first time one has been brought to campus, Posner wrote. 

MC4D is a "production and DJ duo" formed by twin brothers Matt and Chris Drake, according to their Small Town Records biography. Matt is a junior at Duke and Chris is a junior at Dartmouth. They have remixed tracks like Sara Diamond’s “Fool," which earned them one million streams on YouTube. 

The concert will be start at 8:00 p.m. in K-Ville on Feb. 15.

Bre Bradham

Bre is a senior political science major from South Carolina, and she is the current video editor, special projects editor and recruitment chair for The Chronicle. She is also an associate photography editor and an investigations editor. Previously, she was the editor-in-chief and local and national news department head. 

Twitter: @brebradham

Email: breanna.bradham@duke.edu

Share and discuss “Icona Pop to headline P-Checks concert” on social media.