Editor's note: Accepting letters for the Allen Building Takeover's 50th anniversary

Wednesday marks 50 years since dozens of Black students took over the Allen Building on Feb. 13, 1969 and issued demands for administrative action. 

Duke's racial history did not start or stop with the Allen Building Takeover. The events that led up to the Takeover were marked with activism, and the half-century since has seen students continuing to push for progress. 

This past weekend, many of the Allen Building Takeover participants returned to campus to commemorate the event. A reunion was held and panels discussed the Takeover and student activism since then. 

As the University commemorates the students' actions 50 years ago and examines the struggles for racial and labor equality since then, we invite members of the Duke community to submit letters to the editor this week about the Takeover and the legacy those student activists left behind from a half century ago. 

Letters should be less than 325 words in length and can be submitted by email to chronicleletters@duke.edu. More guidelines on submitting letters can be found here

Bre Bradham

Bre is a senior political science major from South Carolina, and she is the current video editor, special projects editor and recruitment chair for The Chronicle. She is also an associate photography editor and an investigations editor. Previously, she was the editor-in-chief and local and national news department head. 

Twitter: @brebradham

Email: breanna.bradham@duke.edu

Share and discuss “Editor's note: Accepting letters for the Allen Building Takeover's 50th anniversary” on social media.