DUSDAC discusses adding Vine Sushi to Merchants on Points

A representative of a new local Asian fusion restaurant visited the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee Wednesday hoping to join the Merchants on Points program. 

Vine Sushi, located near East Campus on Broad Street, offers Japanese food, as well as Chinese and Thai style dishes. Yen Yang, a server at Vine, brought a sampling of the restaurant's vine rolls, dancing eel sushi and drunken noodle chicken. 

Junior Aryaman Gupta, DUSDAC co-chair, asked what sets Vine Sushi apart from the other Asian-themed restaurants already offered on the Merchants on Points program, which allows students to purchase delivery food with food points. Other Asian-themed restaurants on the program include Sushi Love and Dragon Gate Chinese Restaurant. 

Yang said Vine Sushi had short delivery times and healthy options. Delivery takes 40 to 45 mins on a busy day and some of the food is steamed rather than fried, Yang said. 

"Our service is really good," she added. 

Senior Ethan Kwok, DUSDAC co-chair, asked about the restaurant's delivery packaging, noting that Duke is trying to be more environmentally friendly. Yang said that Vine uses plastic boxes and paper bags. 

In other business: 

DUSDAC discussed the logistics for its annual Food Truck Rodeo in April. The event will be advertised through Facebook and a registration form will be sent out. The committee discussed how to best distribute tickets to those who register. 

Junior Maddie Manning also offered the idea of piloting longer hours for the eateries in the Brodhead Center during finals week. 

Share and discuss “DUSDAC discusses adding Vine Sushi to Merchants on Points” on social media.