2019 Chron15 Icon: Jay Singletary

Maybe you know him as Jay from JB’s or as the friendliest Bella Union barista, but regardless of where you’ve met him, Javon (Jay) Singletary brings an unmistakable positive energy to any room. This Boston sports fanatic, fun uncle and provider of the best fist bumps and hugs on campus is sure to know your name and order by heart if you find him behind the register a couple times–whether it’s the apple and fennel salad, a 6-ounce strip steak with extra fries or a caramel macchiato. The sheer number of conversations and inside jokes Jay has with members of the Duke community is a testament to his uncommon compassion and ability to form meaningful relationships. 

The love Jay shows the Duke community is why he is so loved in return, perhaps best shown by the group of seniors who once pitched in to buy him his first Celtics jersey. Those of us lucky enough to know or work with Jay know his infectious positivity and caring attitude never fail to improve our days. He is dedicated fan, a giving friend and, all in all, a true Duke icon.

Liv McKinney and Tara Pal are Trinity juniors.

Editor's note: This profile is part of our annual initiative called The Chron15. We are highlighting 15 people and groups who are defining what it means to be at Duke this year. Read about the project and more of our selections.

Share and discuss “2019 Chron15 Icon: Jay Singletary” on social media.