Duke's Sanford School of Public Policy recently joined five other public affairs schools to form an alliance promoting diversity.

The Public Affairs Diversity Alliance aims to prepare scholars from diverse backgrounds to become faculty members in policy and public affairs. As the first public affairs alliance of its kind, member institutions have committed to hiring up to two postdoctoral fellows or visiting scholars each year from the alliance and appointing mentors for networking and development.

“The Public Affairs Diversity Alliance is another valuable step in the right direction. I look forward to working with our colleagues to build a vibrant, supportive program for young scholars,” said Judith Kelley, dean of the Sanford School of Public Policy, in a news release.

She added that Sanford had already committed to improving its recruiting to enlist a greater number of under-represented scholars, which proved beneficial.

Duke is joined by the American University School of Public Affairs—which founded the alliance and will serve as chair for the first two years—the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University, the Ford School of Public Policy at the University of Michigan, the Price School at the University of Southern California and the Evans School at the University of Washington.  

"The Alliance can play a role in strengthening a group of qualified and talented diverse candidates—from creating a welcoming post-doctoral experience to providing ongoing professional development and networking platforms," said Vicky Wilkins, dean of American University School of Public Affairs, in the release. "All member institutions and their students will benefit from increased access to a robust, inclusive candidate pool.”