SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke women's soccer's Kayla McCoy drafted 18th overall by Houston Dash

<p>Kayla McCoy had a decorated career for Duke.</p>

Kayla McCoy had a decorated career for Duke.

In the past three years, at least one member of the Duke women’s soccer team has been chosen in the National Women’s Soccer League Draft. 

Senior Kayla McCoy heard her name called this year in Chicago, becoming the 13th selection overall for the Blue Devils and capping off her record-breaking career in the blue and white. She was taken by the Houston Dash with the 18th pick of the draft. 

The Lincolnwood, Ill., native finished her final season by etching her name in the record books, leading the team with 12 goals and totaling 32 points. She scored in all but six matches this season and finished third in the Duke women's soccer record book with 15 career game-winning goals. 

McCoy is also one of the most decorated Blue Devils in NCAA tournament history, finishing second in program history in postseason play with 18 total points and third with seven goals. 

McCoy not only impacted the Duke program, but she also made waves nationally as one of the best players in Division-I soccer. McCoy was named All-ACC first team, a United Soccer Coaches first team All-American, first team Scholar All-American and also was given a spot on the Google Cloud CoSIDA Academic All-America third team.

Though McCoy is planning on potentially entering the medical field in the future, being a member of the Duke CAPE program, she is looking forward to getting to Houston and getting to work. 

“I’m so excited to join the Dash family and I can’t wait to get to Houston and get to meet everybody!,” McCoy said in an announcement to the Houston Dash fanbase via Twitter. 

Share and discuss “Duke women's soccer's Kayla McCoy drafted 18th overall by Houston Dash” on social media.