Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright to visit Duke in February

Madeleine Albright—the former U.S. secretary of state who gave the 2004 Commencement Address at Duke—will give a public lecture in Page Auditorium Feb. 28.

Albright's address will be "The Future of Democracy at Home and Abroad, in which she will discuss the current health of democracy and the role the United States plays in fighting fascism. 

Her talk is part of the David M. Rubenstein Distinguished Lecture presented by the Sanford School of Public Policy and co-sponsored by Duke's Program in American Grand Strategy. 

Albright was the first female secretary of state for the United States, working for former President Bill Clinton from 1997 to 2001. When she took on the role, she was the highest ranking female government official in U.S. history. She is now the Michael and Virginia Mortara distinguished professor of diplomacy at Georgetown University.

When Albright addressed the Class of 2004, she spoke about the importance of service and embracing challenges to make a positive difference. 

"For although you have learned a great deal about the world around you; chances are you have learned even more about yourself," Albright said. "That is vital, because from this day forward, you will have to rely not on grades or guidance from professors to tell you how you are doing and where you stand. You will have to rely, instead, on an inner compass; and whether that compass is true will determine whether you become a drifter who is blown about by every breeze; or a doer, able to chart your own course and unafraid, when necessary, to set sail against the strongest wind."

Tickets are required and will be available beginning Tuesday, Feb. 5, in person at the Duke Box Office or online at tickets.duke.edu. 

Share and discuss “Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright to visit Duke in February” on social media.