Iowa State men's basketball 2018-19 season preview

Iowa State Cyclones

2017-18 record: 13-18, 4-14 in the Big-12 

Head coach: Steve Prohm 

Tenure at Iowa State: 4th season 

Career coaching record: 164-70 

Home court: Hilton Coliseum 

Starters: G Lindell Wigginton, G Nick Weiler-Babb, G Marial Shayok, F Cameron Lard, F Solomon Young 

Bench: F Michael Jacobson, F Zoran Talley Jr., G Talen Horton-Tucker, G Terrence Lewis 

Overview: After finishing the 2016-17 season with a 24-11 record, a sixth consecutive NCAA tournament appearance and a Big 12 championship, the Cyclones found themselves in an unfamiliar position as the bottom feeders of the conference last season. Despite the Cyclones’ frustrations, head coach Steve Prohm has plenty of reasons for optimism with the Cyclones returning four starters and adding six new eligible players on scholarship, including two transfers.  

The Cyclones' roster is loaded with undeniable talent and potential, but if Prohm hopes to avoid another what-could-have-been season, it’s going to start in the hands of sophomore guard Lindell Wigginton. In his freshman year, he wasted no time getting acquainted to the Cyclones’ fanbase after dropping 27 points in just his 15th game against No.13 Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse. The Oak Hill product closed the year as the fifth-highest scorer in the Big 12, trailing only Jevon Carter, Devonte’ Graham, Keenan Evans and Trae Young, all of whom have departed for the NBA. 

Outside of Wigginton, the Cyclones return a plethora of production from 6-foot-9 redshirt freshman Cameron Lard, who posted an impressive 12.6 points per game and 8.1 rebounds per game last season and redshirt junior guard Nick Weiler-Babb. However, it is the play on the defensive end of the floor that will likely make or break the Cyclones’ season. Prohm is hoping that the veteran presence of Virginia transfer Marial Shayok and Nebraska transfer Michael Jacobson could help repair a squad that finished a dreadful 259th in the nation in points allowed per game. 

One thing that needs to go right: Wigginton thrives as the go-to guy and closes big games for the Cyclones, giving Prohm and Iowa State's postseason hopes a major boost. 

One thing that could go wrong: Cameron Lard’s off-court issues and Solomon Young’s groin injury derail the Cyclones season similar to 2017-18. 

Share and discuss “Iowa State men's basketball 2018-19 season preview” on social media.