'I feel really involved': Students flock to campus watch parties for 2018 midterm election

Tensions ran high as students anxiously waited to see the results of the 2018 midterm election with their peers at campus watch parties. 

At the watch party at the Sanford School of Public Policy, students eagerly waited as polls across the country closed. Many students were excitedly talking to one another, but an overall feeling of nervousness was palpable. Sophomore Katherine Gan related to the general feeling of anxiety felt across the hall.

“For me personally, this is the first election that I’ve been actively following the results, and the first where I feel really involved,” Gan said. “The Trump presidency and the [Brett] Kavanaugh confirmation have been pretty depressing for this country, but...I’m really excited to see what happens, and hopefully, knock on wood, we take back the House.”

Nick Edge, a Durham resident who attended the Sanford watch party, chose to suppress his expectations in light of the past.

“I’m feeling optimistic, but after 2016 I’m trying to wait until the numbers start coming in before I really calm down,”  Edge said. “This is going to be a huge year for us—us being America. It’s probably going to be a close race, both with the House and the Senate, and I’m really excited to see what happens.”

Meanwhile, at the Rubenstein Library, students attended the political science department's watch party. As the countdown for one poll closing approached zero, students rushed to hush each other as poll projections began to stream in and analysis of the results were presented. Students watched in silent but constant attention as they interpreted the results for themselves.

Michael Munger, professor of political science and the 2008 Libertarian candidate for North Carolina governor, stressed the importance of taking the elections in its entirety, especially regarding the presence of third-parties.

“It’s going to be interesting to see if third parties change the outcome of a number of states,” Munger said. “Watch to see how many races...third-party candidates can play spoiler enough to get attention.”

Share and discuss “'I feel really involved': Students flock to campus watch parties for 2018 midterm election” on social media.