Five observations from Duke men's basketball's first half against San Diego State

<p>R.J. Barrett led Duke with 16 points in the first half.</p>

R.J. Barrett led Duke with 16 points in the first half.

LAHAINA, HAWAII—The Blue Devils came out firing Monday in Maui, using an early 11-0 run to open up a double-digit lead that is the difference as Duke leads 49-32 heading into the locker room. Here are five observations from the Blue Devils' first of six halves they will play this week in the Aloha State.   

Hot out of the gates

After making just five 3-pointers at a 20.8 percent clip against Eastern Michigan Wednesday, the Blue Devils came out firing. Duke knocked down five of its first six triples and 9-of-17 in the half. Jack White sparked an 11-0 run to give the Blue Devils an early 19-6 lead with a pair of triples off the bench. White looked strong in front of his father, who is in the stands watching the Australian play for the first time at Duke.

Dominant on the glass

The Blue Devils have used their size at the forward position to dominate on the boards. Duke outrebounded the Aztecs 19-13, led by five off the bench by junior Javin DeLaurier and four off the bench from his classmate White. But that physicality has not always been a good thing, as the Blue Devils have struggled with illegal contact and may not have the luxury of being as physical in the second half.

Foul trouble could be an issue

The Blue Devils had a little bit of trouble with San Diego State’s size in the early going, committing four fouls in the first five minutes of the contest. Both Cam Reddish and Zion Williamson were forced to the bench for a considerable portion of the half as Williamson picked up his second foul with 12:56 to go and Reddish with 9:26 remaining in the half. DeLaurier and Antonio Vrankovic picked up three fouls, and Marques Bolden also picked up two before the end of the half.

A solution to Zion?

The Aztecs appear to have found an answer to Williamson, holding the Spartanburg, S.C., native to just five points on 1-of-5 shooting in the first 20 minutes. Other than his 3-point make in the opening minutes, Williamson has struggled to find his rhythm offensively. San Diego State has mauled the 285-pound forward on each of his moves in the paint, and has forced the Blue Devils to win from the perimeter. 

Player of the half: R.J. Barrett

Barrett has been the Blue Devils’ offensive spark through each of its first three games, and that trend continued Monday. The 6-foot-7 freshman led Duke in scoring with 16 points in the first half, including conversions on a pair of triples during the Blue Devils’ hot start. While Barrett has not converted at an exceptionally high rate, he has battled his way to the charity stripe, draining five of his six attempts from the line.

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Share and discuss “Five observations from Duke men's basketball's first half against San Diego State” on social media.