End of daylight saving time brings an extra hour of sleep—or one more hour of Shooters II Saloon

<p>Student favorite Shooters II Saloon has witnessed decreased attendance, possibly due to a variety of factors.&nbsp;</p>

Student favorite Shooters II Saloon has witnessed decreased attendance, possibly due to a variety of factors. 

When New Zealand entomologist George Vernon Hudson first conceived of daylight saving time, he surely had high aspirations.

But for some Duke students, the end of daylight saving time early Sunday morning will have a very  direct effect—an extra hour of Shooters. 

Daylight saving time ends Sunday, Nov. 4 at 2 a.m. The normal Saturday night hours for the popular local night club that is a common Saturday haunt for Duke students are 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. As a result, Kim Cates—owner and manager of Shooters II Saloon— confirmed to the Chronicle that the popular dance club will be open for an extra hour on Saturday night.

“At two o’clock, it’s one o’clock,” Cates said. “We’re riding all the way till three.”

Cates said this is Shooters’ first ever daylight saving party, and that this Saturday night’s Shooters will be special. 

“If you go on Facebook and look, you can see we will be having a party,” Cates said.

The Shooters Saloon Facebook page advertised a “Fall Back Into the Neon Night” event. 

“WE have an EXTRA HOUR in The Neon Lights Sipping on some BRIGHT Beverages!” the page exclaims. 

The time shift is not practiced in all states and—despite a common misconception—did not grow from agrarian interests. The first political push for its creation came from Englishman William Willett in the early 1900's.

Hudson would have been proud of students taking advantage of the extra time for dancing and revelry. 

“The early-morning daylight would be utilised,” he dreamed in one 1898 article. “A long period of daylight leisure would be made available in the evening for cricket, gardening, cycling, or any other outdoor pursuit desired.”

Share and discuss “End of daylight saving time brings an extra hour of sleep—or one more hour of Shooters II Saloon” on social media.