Duke in the NBA: Rookies Wendell Carter Jr. and Marvin Bagley III proving their draft position

Wendell Carter Jr. is still a force in the paint.

Kyrie Irving, Boston Celtics

After a slow start to the year, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft has found his offensive rhythm again. In his last four games, Irving has averaged an impressive 27 points per game while shooting 60 percent from the field and 56.3 percent from behind the arc. Most recently, he put up an efficient 31 points in a loss to the Denver Nuggets. After the game, Irving hurled the ball into the stands, reacting to perceived disrespect from Nuggets guard Jamal Murray, who chucked up a three-point attempt with time expiring despite an 8-point Denver lead.

Marvin Bagley, Sacramento Kings

The Kings have burst out to a surprising 6-4 record, but Bagley has yet to secure a starting position on the team. However, this year’s No. 2 overall draft pick is contributing behind starting frontcourt veterans Nemanja Bjelica and Willie Cauley-Stein. In 23 minutes per game, Bagley is averaging an impressive 12.8 points and 6.8 rebounds per game on 52.7 percent shooting. Look for Bagley to continue to play a key role off the bench early in the season as he adjusts to NBA-level play before solidifying a more prominent role on the team towards the end of the year.

Wendell Carter Jr., Chicago Bulls

Drafted at No. 7 in June’s draft, Carter Jr. was thrust immediately into a Chicago team that struggled to a 23-59 record last year. He struggled in his first few games, averaging only 6.6 points through his first five games. Since then, he has been on a tear, reaching double figures in each of his past 6 games and posting three double-doubles during that spell. In his last game, a win over the New York Knicks, Carter posted 11 points and 13 rebounds in just 22 minutes of action before fouling out of the contest. His defensive effort has also been phenomenal, as he has blocked 1.9 shots per game over the year. On a young Bulls team filled with potential, Carter has the chance to emerge as a defensive anchor while also contributing on the offensive end.

JJ Redick, Philadelphia 76ers

After Markelle Fultz’s return from injury, the 2006 Duke graduate was moved to a bench role. Through 11 games, Redick has proven that even in limited minutes he can still perform at a high level. He has posted double figures in every single game thus far, highlighted by a 31-point effort against the Orlando Magic in which he scored a game-winning three with 17.7 seconds remaining. However, his efficiency has begun to dip, as Redick is shooting just 37.9 percent from behind the arc, which would be his worst percentage since 2012-13. The 13-year veteran has shown that he can rebound from occasional slumps and will play a key offensive role on a Philadelphia team that has championship hopes this season.

Brandon Ingram, Los Angeles Lakers

The former Blue Devil was suspended for four games after an altercation with Chris Paul of the Houston Rockets and made his return in late October. Since then, he has played well, averaging 16.3 points on 45.5 percent shooting. Ingram has seen his usage decrease after the arrival of Lebron James this past offseason and has often had to play out of position in order to accommodate James and Kyle Kuzma. Despite this, he has proven his ability to put up points at decent efficiency and will have to maintain, or increase, his scoring output on a Lakers team without many shooting threats.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Rookies Wendell Carter Jr. and Marvin Bagley III proving their draft position” on social media.