Beats' picks: Can Duke salvage the tail end of their season against Miami?

<p>Duke football will look to snap a recent skid looking for a victory on the road against Miami.</p>

Duke football will look to snap a recent skid looking for a victory on the road against Miami.

Prior to each Duke football game, The Chronicle’s Ben Feder, Derek Saul, Michael Model, Mitchell Gladstone and Winston Lindqwister make their predictions for the contest and we’ll track their records throughout the season. Here are their takes on the Blue Devils’ matchup with Miami Saturday:

Game predictions:

Ben Feder: 27-19 Miami

Duke’s in trouble. Miami, despite their struggles, is playing at home against a Blue Devil defense that bled points at Pittsburgh. Although I expect Duke’s defense to display a better showing this week, it’s more of the same. Duke will head to 5-4 ahead of a road game at Clemson.

Derek Saul: Miami 27-17

I’m interested to see how each unit shakes out in this game—Miami’s offense is in the dregs while Duke is coming off of a historic performance, and the Hurricane defense ranks near the top of the country while the Blue Devils looked helpless on that side of the ball last week. Ultimately, I believe Miami’s defense will be too dominant for Duke to move the ball on, and a depleted Blue Devil defense will allow 

Michael Model: Miami 28-14

Pittsburgh made Duke look like a Big 12 offense last week, but the Blue Devils will have a tough time against a physical Hurricane defense that has not allowed an opponent to break 27 points since their 33-17 season-opening defeat at the hands of LSU. Miami has had Duke’s number, dominating the last three matchups, and returning home after two losses will be desperate and hungry for a victory. 

Mitchell Gladstone: Miami 38-21

Have I any confidence in the Duke defense? Nope. Absolutely not. If this group of Blue Devils can surrender 54 points to Pittsburgh, it has little chance of stopping anyone. I actually believe in Daniel Jones and come next year, he might have just enough tools around him to carry Duke to wins that they might not be able to get this year. Until then, one brutal side of the ball is going to be the reason the Blue Devils struggle their way to bowl eligibility.

Winston Lindqwister: Miami 45-21

I have never felt the hype for a team deflate as quickly as it has for Duke football. But unfortunately for the Blue Devils, they give me no reason to believe they have a chance at competing against the upper half of ACC teams. Duke’s characteristically staunch defense has been left shambling the past few weeks, as evidenced by 54 points surrendered to Pittsburgh last weekend. That just won’t cut it against the Hurricanes. I expect Daniel Jones to remain solid, that is, as solid as a quarterback can be with an anemic offensive line. But the Blue Devils’ defense has broken down to the point where this Saturday will be a bloodbath for Duke.

Overall results:

Ben Feder: 4-4

Derek Saul: 5-3

Michael Model: 4-4

Mitchell Gladstone: 6-2

Winston Lindqwister: 5-3

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Mitchell Gladstone | Sports Managing Editor

Twitter: @mpgladstone13

A junior from just outside Philadelphia, Mitchell is probably reminding you how the Eagles won the Super Bowl this year and that the Phillies are definitely on the rebound. Outside of The Chronicle, he majors in Economics, minors in Statistics and is working toward the PJMS certificate, in addition to playing trombone in the Duke University Marching Band. And if you're getting him a sandwich with beef and cheese outside the state of Pennsylvania, you best not call it a "Philly cheesesteak." 

Share and discuss “Beats' picks: Can Duke salvage the tail end of their season against Miami?” on social media.