Duke in the NBA: Kyrie Irving starts to heat up despite Boston’s struggles

<p>Kyrie Irving has looked comfortable around the rim and has kept the Celtics afloat amidst their woes.</p>

Kyrie Irving has looked comfortable around the rim and has kept the Celtics afloat amidst their woes.

With the 2018-19 season playing out, the Blue Zone checks in on former Blue Devils on NBA teams.

Kyrie Irving, Boston Celtics

For a team that had aspirations of competing for an NBA Title, the Celtics have started their 2018 campaign with a disappointing record of 11-10. Whatever the problem may be, “Uncle Drew” cannot be blamed, as the five-time all-star is still the elite scorer that the NBA knows him to be. Irving is averaging 22 points and 6.4 assists per game on the young season, and has really turned up recently, leading Boston in scoring in five out of the team’s last seven games. The former first overall selection’s best performance came against the NBA leading Raptors with a dazzling display for 43 points and 11 assists in an overtime win that came down to a couple of clutch Irving buckets. The Celtics will need their supporting cast to step up and gel faster, but Kyrie is giving the Boston faithful the superstar presence it needs. 

Marvin Bagley III, Sacramento Kings

The Blue Devil’s most recent top three selection is being brought along slowly in Sacramento, but it doesn’t mean that Marvin Bagley III isn’t making the most of his opportunities. The former ACC player of the year is waiting patiently in the Kings depth chart behind bigs Willie Cauley-Stein and Nemanja Bjelica, but it will be hard to keep them there if he can keep performing like he did in his 20 point and 17 rebound game against the defending champion Warriors. Bagley still has his struggles shooting the ball and can be too dependent on his left hand at times, but NBA forwards are having a tough time containing the explosiveness that helped him excel at Duke. Look for his averages of 12.7 points and 6.7 rebounds to slowly climb as the season progresses, and we could see a Blue Devil on the All-Rookie first team in back to back seasons.  

Wendell Carter Jr., Chicago Bulls

Often overshadowed by Bagley last year, Carter Jr. was put into a great situation in Chicago, where he’d be with two established scorers to shoulder the offensive load in Zach LaVine and Jabari Parker. The seventh overall pick has been a routine starter in the Bulls’ lineup, and is making his biggest impact rebounding and defending the paint. Carter Jr. posts averages of 7.1 rebounds and 1.7 blocks to go along with 11 points per game, and his two-way potential is why some pegged him to become the best big man out of the 2018 draft class loaded with the likes of DeAndre Ayton, Bagley, Jaren Jackson Jr. and Mohamed Bamba.

J.J. Redick, Philadelphia 76ers

Many expected Redick’s stats to take a big hit after Philadelphia traded for superstar guard Jimmy Butler, but the 12-year veteran continues to show the 76ers why he was worth resigning last summer. Redick is putting up 18.4 points per game since Butler was brought to Philly with an efficient three-point clip of 36.2 percent. The 76ers could even see an improvement with the former all time ACC leading scorer in the lineup without the distractions of 2017 top pick Markelle Fultz, who is sidelined with a shoulder injury. 

Harry Giles, Sacramento Kings 

In what many saw as the perfect low risk, high reward play by taking Harry Giles with the 20th pick in the 2017 draft, the Kings are starting to see some potential out of the former top recruit in his class. Giles sat out all of last season to strengthen his knees after tearing both ACL ligaments on separate incidents but has now become a valuable role piece off the bench with Bagley. The Winston-Salem, N.C. native is chipping in 5.1 points and 3.3 rebounds per game in just an average of 10.6 minutes per contest. Giles played in both games of a back to back over the weekend and scored double digits in both games, providing hope that he can live up to some of his hype of becoming the next transcending big man. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Kyrie Irving starts to heat up despite Boston’s struggles” on social media.