Duke women’s basketball 2018-19 player preview: Leaonna Odom

<p>Leaonna Odom has the potential to be a breakout star this season.</p>

Leaonna Odom has the potential to be a breakout star this season.

Leaonna Odom 

• Year: Junior 
  • Height: 6-foot-2 
  • Position: Forward 
  • Last year's stat line: 9.6 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 1.7 APG 

Game Breakdown: Leaonna Odom is one of the most athletic players in head coach Joanne P. McCallie’s tenure at Duke. At times, however, her athleticism was not always on display, especially when playing with the one of the top backcourts in the country last year. There were eight games a season ago where the forward took four or fewer shots and in four other contests, Odom only attempted five shots. But she displayed her full potential at the season’s conclusion. In the NCAA Tournament, Odom averaged 21 points a game to lead the team to the Sweet 16. 

In those three games, Odom took complete control and used her frame and athleticism to do anything she wanted. Often times, Odom would catch the ball near the perimeter and drive to the paint, where she would elevate and take a jumper. Most defenders are not able to rise to the same height, which gives Odom the advantage. Also, when her driving game is staying aggressive, the Lampoc, Calif. native’s midrange jump shot is also effective. 

Role on the Team: The Blue Devils’ offense will look different this season without the Splash Sisters. But last season when Rebecca Greenwell and Lexie Brown saw double teams, it was Odom who took control of the offense and led the team in scoring in the NCAA Tournament. This season, Odom, along with redshirt junior Haley Gorecki, will lead the team in scoring. But when the junior is staying aggressive on the offensive end, the defenders will collapse to the paint and there will be open teammates ready to shoot. 

With Kyra Lambert now out for the season and Mikayla Boykin out for an extended period of time, there is an opening in the backcourt for a point guard by committee. When Gorecki and senior Faith Suggs are on the floor, they will take the ball as will freshmen Miela Goodchild and Rayah Craig. But Odom also has the ability to take the ball all the way down the court to the basket in transition situations. If she grabs a long rebound, Odom will have the advantage to score quickly on the other end of the floor. 

Projected stats: 16.8 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 2.7 APG 

Share and discuss “Duke women’s basketball 2018-19 player preview: Leaonna Odom” on social media.