Survey: International students have lower family incomes, attended private schools at higher rate

Duke prides itself on its worldwide diversity, attracting hundreds of international students every year. How do statistics on income, school type, admissions counselor and opinions on test scores compare between domestic and international students?

The data presented comes from The Chronicle's survey of the Class of 2022. According to the survey, the average international student is generally less well-off than the average domestic student, especially in terms of income.

This graphic is unsupported by your browser.

The greatest number of both international and domestic students surveyed have family incomes between $125,000-$250,000, with 9 and 69 students respectively. Nearly 35 percent of domestic students surveyed came from families making $250,000-$500,000 or more than $500,000, dwarfing the nearly 11 percent of international students in those categories.

About 55 percent of international students come from families making between $0-$125,000, compared to 36 percent of domestic students. Most international students have family incomes of $0-$40,000 or $125,000-$250,000.

In terms of schooling, international students were more likely to have gone to private school than domestic ones. About 60 percent of surveyed international students attended private school, whereas only 23 percent of domestic students did.

This graphic is unsupported by your browser. This graphic is unsupported by your browser.

The survey shows that international students hired a private admissions counselor to help with the college admissions process at a slightly greater rate than domestic students—28.6 percent compared to 22.6 percent, respectively.

There was very little difference between reported SAT and ACT scores of domestic and international students in the survey. While international students reported a slightly lower SAT score, they also reported a slightly higher ACT score.

Interactives by Ayden Case and Likhitha Butchireddygari

Finally, around 68 percent domestic and 54 percent foreign students support Duke requiring standardized test scores for its application. Earlier this year, the University announced that it would stop requiring SAT essay and ACT writing scores.

Jake Satisky profile
Jake Satisky | Editor-in-Chief

Jake Satisky is a Trinity senior and the digital strategy director for Volume 116. He was the Editor-in-Chief for Volume 115 of The Chronicle. 

Share and discuss “Survey: International students have lower family incomes, attended private schools at higher rate” on social media.