Which recruits came to Countdown to Craziness Friday?

<p>Vernon Carey, the No. 2 recruit in ESPN's Class of 2019 rankings made it into Section 17 Friday.</p>

Vernon Carey, the No. 2 recruit in ESPN's Class of 2019 rankings made it into Section 17 Friday.

On Friday night, Duke basketball held its annual Countdown to Craziness, which is what I described to my mom as a debutante ball for the 2018-19 Blue Devil roster. Most notably, the Blue-White intrasquad scrimmage marked the first time that Duke fans could witness the top-ranked 2018 recruiting class in pseudo game action.

In recent years, head coach Mike Krzyzewski and his coaching staff have turned to making Countdown to Craziness a recruiting event. Last year, Zion Williamson attended the event, which certainly played a major role in his commitment to Duke.

This year, the Blue Devils will host three recruits. Let’s take a look at each potential recruit’s background and game:

Vernon Carey Jr.

The No. 2 overall recruit in the Class of 2019 according to 247Sports, Carey Jr. is a long-time target for Krzyzewski. In fact, he was at last year’s Countdown to Craziness. The 247Sports Crystal Ball gives the Fort Lauderdale, Fla. native a 50 percent chance of suiting up in a Duke uniform next winter, by far the highest odds of any team.

The 275-pound behemoth plays with authority, slamming dunks and rejecting opponents with regularity. Carey Jr. brings back some distant memories of former Blue Devil Marvin Bagley III, as both are athletic left-handed centers that can extend the floor as well.

For anybody freaking out about Duke having no commits in this year’s high school senior class, Carey Jr. may be the first domino to fall. Don’t be surprised if he announces his decision in the next few weeks.

Jalen Johnson

Johnson is a member of the Class of 2020, and although he is a long time from playing at the collegiate level, there is a lot to be excited about when it comes to him. 

The 6-foot-8-inch forward can do it all—his passing ability is spectacular, he has solid handles, and he has height. Johnson does seem to be a bit lanky, and will need to gain some muscle before he competes collegiately.

B.J. Boston Jr.

Boston Jr. is also a part of the Class of 2020, and could rejoin former high school teammate Jordan Goldwire at Duke.

The Norcross, Ga. native is a prototypical shooting guard, as he has a beautiful shot from the outside, infinite range, and size. 

Share and discuss “Which recruits came to Countdown to Craziness Friday?” on social media.