Javin DeLaurier and Jack White named captains for Duke men's basketball

Jack White will be one of Duke's two captains this season alongside Javin DeLaurier.

Duke has named two of its most vocal upperclassmen captains, answering one of the biggest lingering questions heading into the season.

Juniors Javin DeLaurier and Jack White will be this year's team captains, taking over the prestigious leadership role after Grayson Allen was the lone captain last season. DeLaurier and White both represented Duke at the ACC's Media Day in Charlotte Wednesday.

"I couldn’t pick two more worthy individuals to lead our team than Javin and Jack,” head coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a press release. “They have done everything we’ve asked, from the end of last year to now, to be ready to lead this team. Jack and Javin have earned the respect of our players and staff, and I’m proud to have them as captains.”

DeLaurier is considered a leading candidate to be the Blue Devils' fifth starter this season alongside their four five-star freshmen. The 6-foot-10 forward from Shipman, Va., started five games last year and played in 33, averaging 3.4 points and 4.0 rebounds per contest.

"It’s a tremendous honor and I’m very excited for the chance to lead this team,” DeLaurier said in the press release. “We have a great group that’s capable of achieving all of our goals as long as we stick to the plan. I'm so grateful and humbled to be chosen a captain by Coach K."

White has not started a game in his career, but played in 28 games and averaged 0.8 points and 1.5 rebounds. The 6-foot-7 Australian is often one of Duke's most energetic and supportive players when he is on the floor or sitting on the bench. White and DeLaurier are roommates and are two of the closest friends on the team.

“I’m honored to be selected a captain,” White said in the press release. “I’m looking forward to the opportunity, and the chance to be a captain alongside my teammate and best friend, is tremendously special.”

Share and discuss “Javin DeLaurier and Jack White named captains for Duke men's basketball” on social media.