Food bank hosts drive for Hurricane Florence victims in Duke Libraries

Got some extra food? You can donate it at the library to help hurricane victims.

Until October 26, all Duke libraries will be accepting food donations, waiving $1 in library fines for each unopened, unexpired, non-perishable food item donated. The “Food for Fines” program—coordinated by the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina—will distribute the food to victims of Hurricane Florence. 

In the midst of Florence, North Carolina's food banks suffered severe supply shortages and struggled to feed first responders, stranded victims and shelter facilities. Following the storm, the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina collected supplies to send to victims confronting damage to their homes, especially ready-to-eat foods, hygiene products and cleaning supplies. 

Regardless of which library you owe fines to, you can donate food to any library for the fine waive. The waived fines can only apply to late fees, and there is a limit of $25 for each individual. Students with no library fines can also donate. The libraries also accept non-food essentials such as diapers, wipes, cleaning products and paper towels.

"[Victims] lost things like sanitary products, soaps, things for showers. They lost toilet paper that they may have stocked, paper towels that are great for cleaning, cleaning products that maybe they wouldn't normally keep in their home but now need to be able to clean up after floodwaters," said Jessica Whichard, director of communications for the Food Bank, to ABC11.

The Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina serves across North Carolina through more than 800 agencies across 34 counties. Facilities include soup kitchens, food pantries, shelters, and programs for children and adults.

Share and discuss “Food bank hosts drive for Hurricane Florence victims in Duke Libraries” on social media.