Every year since 1989, the Chapel has hosted an outdoor worship service with a canine congregation.

The Blessing of the Animals, which is scheduled near the Feast Day of St. Francis of Assisi, brings a variety of animals to Duke's campus. The service is open to the public, and "all well-mannered pets are invited."

This year, pets ranging from horses to iguanas could be spotted on Abele Quadrangle.

Bre Bradham

Sophie Caplin, Trinity '18, holds Gale, an 11-week-old kitten.

Bre Bradham

Jennifer Ling, Trinity '18, holds Monsoon as the kitten is blessed. Monsoon and Gale are foster kittens that were evacuated from a shelter in Burlington, N.C., in anticipation of Hurricane Florence. Although they are currently foster kittens, Caplin and Ling said they are considering adopting the kittens.

Bre Bradham

Gale meets a new friend.

Bre Bradham

Aside from kittens, there were some scaly visitors at the event as well. This iguana stayed in his cage most of the afternoon.

Bre Bradham

Miniature horses also made an appearance at the Chapel event. 

Bre Bradham

Kids crowded around the horses and others snapped photos with the small horses in between the animals being blessed.

Bre Bradham

Peaches, right, is a three-year-old miniature horse.

Bre Bradham

Aside from the blessings, the event also provided a chance for the animals to meet new friends.

Bre Bradham

Sailor, a two-and-a-half-year-old Yorkie, made his first appearance at the Blessing of the Animals with his owners, Lou and Connie Giovenco. Lou Giovenco is retired from the Navy, which is how the dog got his nautical name.

Bre Bradham

Gunnie, 10, is a bull terrier. The colorful collar she donned for the Sunday event is one of her many accessories—most of which come from Claire's.

Bre Bradham

Bravo, 11, enjoyed the day from the comfort of his carriage, amidst all his stuffed animals. 

Bre Bradham

Bre Bradham

Bre Bradham

Sophie, an 11-months-old long-haired chihuahua, bathed in the sunlight as she waited in line to be blessed.