Rescue kittens, iguanas and miniature horses: The Blessing of the Animals in photos

Every year since 1989, the Chapel has hosted an outdoor worship service with a canine congregation.

The Blessing of the Animals, which is scheduled near the Feast Day of St. Francis of Assisi, brings a variety of animals to Duke's campus. The service is open to the public, and "all well-mannered pets are invited."

This year, pets ranging from horses to iguanas could be spotted on Abele Quadrangle.

Sophie Caplin, Trinity '18, holds Gale, an 11-week-old kitten.

Jennifer Ling, Trinity '18, holds Monsoon as the kitten is blessed. Monsoon and Gale are foster kittens that were evacuated from a shelter in Burlington, N.C., in anticipation of Hurricane Florence. Although they are currently foster kittens, Caplin and Ling said they are considering adopting the kittens.

Gale meets a new friend.

Aside from kittens, there were some scaly visitors at the event as well. This iguana stayed in his cage most of the afternoon.

Miniature horses also made an appearance at the Chapel event. 

Kids crowded around the horses and others snapped photos with the small horses in between the animals being blessed.

Peaches, right, is a three-year-old miniature horse.

Aside from the blessings, the event also provided a chance for the animals to meet new friends.

Sailor, a two-and-a-half-year-old Yorkie, made his first appearance at the Blessing of the Animals with his owners, Lou and Connie Giovenco. Lou Giovenco is retired from the Navy, which is how the dog got his nautical name.

Gunnie, 10, is a bull terrier. The colorful collar she donned for the Sunday event is one of her many accessories—most of which come from Claire's.

Bravo, 11, enjoyed the day from the comfort of his carriage, amidst all his stuffed animals. 

Sophie, an 11-months-old long-haired chihuahua, bathed in the sunlight as she waited in line to be blessed.

Bre Bradham

Bre is a senior political science major from South Carolina, and she is the current video editor, special projects editor and recruitment chair for The Chronicle. She is also an associate photography editor and an investigations editor. Previously, she was the editor-in-chief and local and national news department head. 

Twitter: @brebradham

Email: breanna.bradham@duke.edu

Share and discuss “Rescue kittens, iguanas and miniature horses: The Blessing of the Animals in photos” on social media.