Duke men's basketball 2018-19 player preview: Marques Bolden

<p>Marques Bolden provides a presence down low for Duke.</p>

Marques Bolden provides a presence down low for Duke.

Marques Bolden 

• Year: Junior 
  • Height: 6-foot-11 
  • Position: Center 
  • Last year’s statline: 3.9 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 12.9 MPG 

Game Breakdown: During his past two seasons at Duke, Marques Bolden has been on and off the bench due to injuries. He missed the first eight games of his freshman season, then was later sidelined due to illness in the NCAA tournament. In the middle of his sophomore season, he was out for seven consecutive games after a knee injury. Bolden brings size, speed and athleticism to the court, but he will have to compete for a starting position with Javin DeLaurier. At the preseason game against Virginia Union, Bolden was granted the fifth starter spot, with DeLaurier starting on the bench after missing practice with a foot injury. While Bolden has limited offensive range, his size and length make him a powerful presence on the defensive end.  

Role on the Team: Bolden is a center on the team, alongside senior Antonio Vrankovic. With the court being most likely dominated by the freshmen, there’s only room for one upperclassman at his position to shine. If given enough playing time, Bolden could potentially be looked to for leadership by his younger teammates. 

NBA Comparison: Both defensive big men, Bolden compares to Robin Lopez of the Chicago Bulls. Lopez stands at seven feet tall and weighs 256 pounds while Bolden is 6-foot-11 and 250 pounds. Both men hold their ground in their defensive positions and although they’re not the fastest on the court, their size comes as an advantage in the game. Lopez averages 5.4 rebounds per game, while Bolden averages 2.5 rebounds per game. If Bolden is able to stay healthy and develop a consistent role on the court his numbers could also go up. 

Projected stats: 4.7 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 16.0 MPG 

Stay tuned to the Blue Zone for our continuing player previews with sophomore Alex O'Connell tomorrow. Previous players previewed include Justin Robinson, Joey Baker, Jordan Goldwire, Antonio Vrankovic and Jack White.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball 2018-19 player preview: Marques Bolden” on social media.