RECESS  |  CULTURE

'Nuthin’ 2 Prove' is nothing new from Lil Yachty

music review

Lil Yachty's third studio album "Nuthin' 2 Prove" was released Oct. 19.

As one of the most recognizable rappers in recent history, Lil Yachty has accomplished a lot during his short tenure on the mainstream rap scene. With two songs peaking in the the Billboard Top 10 and a record deal with industry giants, Quality Control, Yachty’s career blew up in a matter of months. However, after a disappointing second studio album in “Lil Boat 2,” Yachty, ironically, had a lot to prove on his new studio album “Nuthin’ 2 Prove.” Is this the key that will finally cement Lil Yachty’s place in the Atlanta trap scene?

Not really. Although the album remains true to his bubblegum genre of rap, it feels like a rehash of everything Lil Yachty has already created. He takes no risks — there is no growth that proves Lil Yachty can continue to achieve long-term success in the music industry. Hardcore fans will enjoy the tried-and-true formula they have loved, but “Nuthin’ 2 Prove” does little to attract new fans or contribute to Lil Yachty’s existing discography. 

The feature list proves to be the most most valuable asset of the entire album. With features that include Lil Baby, Cardi B, Gunna, Offset and Trippie Redd, the starpower present in the tracklist cannot be understated. However, instead of complementing Yachty, his features overshadow his choppy style, which appears unsophisticated in comparison. Songs like “We Outta Here!” only serve to highlight the feature while Yachty’s verses are forgettable and repetitive. This effect is only enhanced when Yachty raps without a feature. 

The tracks “I’m The Mac” and “Gimme My Respect” are clear low points where it becomes evident that Yachty has yet to master the uneven flow that he experimented with on “Lil Boat 2.” A notable exception is “Yacht Club,” where he teams up with the new-age Juice WRLD to rap about making money and partying. Juice WRLD’s grungy, emotional vocals effortlessly mix with Yachty’s trademark crooning to create a hypnotic sound that continues to build throughout the song. Combined with a bass-heavy EarlThePearll beat, “Yacht Club” becomes a club classic that will appeal to fans of trap and punk alike while marking a high point in an album that is filled with mostly forgettable tracks. 

Aside from his features, Lil Yachty finds the most success when returning to the crooning that gave rise to his widespread popularity. The album is split, with Yachty only choosing to focus on his mesmerizing voice on the last seven tracks. Yachty finds his stride within the last few, honing in on flow that accentuates his mumbling and autotune. “Next Up” inspires memories of hits “One Night” and “Wanna Be Us” from the mixtape “Lil Boat” while “Everything Good, Everything Right” could be ripped straight from the tracklist of his debut album, “Teenage Emotions.”

Lyrically, Lil Yachty keeps it simple. Many of his lyrics are similar to other rap artists who live the the high-energy life of a celebrity; Yachty continuously raps about his jewelry, women and drug use. On “SaintLaurentYSL,” Lil Yachty and Lil Baby rap about fashion company Yves Saint Laurent, while on “I’m the Mac,” he talks about how much money he has been making throughout the year. Although his raps reflect his gaudy life, the message remains the same: Lil Yachty is constantly striving for success and felt that he has finally made it big, that he has “Nuthin’ 2 Prove.”

Unsurprisingly, the album lacks the social criticism often found in the works of rappers such as J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar. Yachty prefers to stick to the classic trap formula rather than attempting to replicate a contemplative and reflective style that would isolate him from his fans and Atlanta trap scene. It makes sense; Yachty’s fan base is much different than those of other rappers. His ostentatious style, especially his iconic cherry red hair, appeal to a younger and more eccentric audience. Yachty’s fans want songs to hype them up and he continues to stick to the norm to deliver the music they crave.  

Despite the lack of lyrical depth, Lil Yachty manages to create, for better or for worse, an album that remains an unequivocal expression of his persona. “Nuthin’ 2 Prove” continues to provide music that mixes elements of mumble rap and autotuned crooning to make tracks that tend to blend together, with featured artists standing out among the uniform landscape of Lil Yachty’s flow. He does not offer any new concepts of lyrical style — yet. Lil Yachty has the foundation to become a staple of trap music, but hopefully his next album will provide the evolution and diversity in sound that “Nuthin’ 2 Prove” is sorely missing.

Share and discuss “'Nuthin’ 2 Prove' is nothing new from Lil Yachty” on social media.