Duke in the NBA: Looking at Duke alums a week into the regular season

<p>Grayson Allen may have to earn his minutes for the Jazz this season, but he has been efficient thus far.</p>

Grayson Allen may have to earn his minutes for the Jazz this season, but he has been efficient thus far.

With the 2018-19 season already in full swing, the Blue Zone checks in on former Blue Devils in the NBA.

Brandon Ingram, Los Angeles Lakers

After a solid last season with the Lakers in which he averaged 16.1 points per game while shooting 39 percent from behind the arc, the 2016 No. 2 overall pick has emerged as one of the top scoring options for Los Angeles. Putting up an impressive 26 points against the Warriors and 31 against the Kings in the preseason, Ingram has delivered and proven to be one of the key young players on the team, meshing well alongside LeBron James. However, the forward got suspended four games after running in and throwing a punch at Rockets guard Chris Paul during a scuffle, and it’ll be interesting to see how he bounces back when he returns to the court. 

Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics

We’re all witnesses to Tatum’s historic playoff run last season. The 2017 No. 3 overall pick averaged 18.5 points per game last postseason, falling just one point shy of the NBA record for most playoff points scored by a rookie, held by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. With Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward out for the playoffs last season due to injuries, it was Tatum who led a young core to just one game away from the Finals. The 20-year-old’s offensive gifts and abilities to score in isolation have raised comparisons to Kobe Bryant, and just four games into this season, Tatum is averaging a double-double with 17.5 points and 10.5 rebounds per game. 

Grayson Allen, Utah Jazz 

After Allen’s four-year tenure at Duke that saw both glory and controversy, the 6-foot-5 guard from Jacksonville, Fla. was drafted by the Utah Jazz with the 21st pick in the 2018 NBA draft. Allen put up solid numbers in the preseason, averaging 12.6 points per game on 51.1 percent shooting overall and 52 percent shooting from beyond the arc. Around playmakers like Ricky Rubio and Rookie of the Year runner-up Donovan Mitchell, Allen will likely play the role of a spot-up shooter for the Jazz this season. However, it appears as though Allen will need to earn his opportunity—in the first two games of the season, Allen did not see playing time. He debuted against the Grizzlies Monday evening, putting up seven points on 2-2 shooting. 

JJ Redick, Philadelphia 76ers

The oldest of Duke players currently in the league, Redick has put up monster scoring numbers for the Sixers after being traded there last season. But after a season in which he averaged 17.1 points per game off 42 percent shooting from downtown, there were doubts as to whether Redick would produce similar numbers with the return of Markelle Fultz to the starting lineup. However, Redick has continued to impress; the 2006 Duke alum scored 28 points against the Mavericks in the preseason in a perfect 10-10 shooting night and scored 31 points in the last regular season game against the Magic. 

Quinn Cook, Golden State Warriors

Cook made a name for himself last season for the Warriors after star point guard Stephen Curry went down with an ankle injury—in 33 games, the 25-year-old point guard put up 9.5 points per game on 48.4 percent shooting. However, it seems as though his role on the team has reduced this season, as Cook has played less than 12 minutes a game in two out of four regular season games so far. In the preseason, Cook had an impressive game against the Lakers, putting up 20 points and 4 assists, and we’ll see if Cook gets more opportunities as the season progresses. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Looking at Duke alums a week into the regular season” on social media.