Luck of the Levy: How will Duke fare against Georgia Tech?

Brittain Brown looks to dominate Georgia Tech as he did last year.

Andrew Levy, a blog columnist for the Blue Zone, examines prop bets for Duke's contest against Georgia Tech on Saturday.

Over/Under 9.5 Tackles for Joe Giles-Harris

For the first time in his career, Joe Giles-Harris is looking unlikely to hit the 100-tackle mark in a season.  Although Giles-Harris has led the team in tackles in each year of his career, this year he is ranked third on the roster.  If there is an opponent for the linebacker to get back on track, Georgia Tech is the optimal one.  The second team that Duke has faced this year that runs the triple option offense, the Yellow Jackets currently rank fourth in the nation in rushing attempts per game at 56.6.  Ball carriers will constantly be coming Giles-Harris’ way, and he will be a key part in the Duke defense in stopping the ground game.  Last year in Duke’s blowout win against Georgia Tech, Giles-Harris had 14 total tackles.

Pick: Over

Over/Under 100 yards rushing for Brittain Brown

This season was supposed to be the breakout year for the redshirt sophomore back, but Brown has been constantly been nagged by injuries, limiting his carries and yardage. In a key ACC Coastal division game against Virginia Tech two weeks ago, the Hokies limited Brown to just 35 yards on 12 carries as Virginia Tech dominated from the onset.  However, with the bye week Brown has the ability to change the course of his season as well as put the Blue Devils back on track.  Georgia Tech is currently a below average rushing defense based on yards per attempt, and Brown last season put up 116 rushing yards in their matchup.

Pick: Over

Duke +2.5 vs Georgia Tech

The Blue Devils are my lock of the week.  Take them against the spread and money line, and throw them in every bet you take this week. Georgia Tech should not be a favorite in this game.  The Yellow Jackets right now are a .500 team, and the record of their opponents in their three wins is a combined 7-10.  This line is a blatant overreaction to Duke’s loss to Virginia Tech at Wallace Wade Stadium two weeks ago.  The key to this game will be the Blue Devil’s ability to control the line of scrimmage and stop Georgia Tech’s triple option offense.  The Blue Devils are currently ranked No. 29 in rushing defense, have one of the best linebacker tandems in Ben Humphrey and Joe Giles-Harris, and already blew out Army who also runs a triple option offense.  

Pick: Duke

Share and discuss “Luck of the Levy: How will Duke fare against Georgia Tech?” on social media.