Five observations from Duke football's strong first half against Army

<p>Brittain Brown shouldered the load for Duke in the first half.&nbsp;</p>

Brittain Brown shouldered the load for Duke in the first half. 

At the end of the first half the Blue Devils lead Army 17-10. Here are five observations from Duke's first 30 minutes of the season:

1. Daniel Jones takes shots at the big plays

Duke quarterback Daniel Jones looks more comfortable on the field, especially with initiating big plays. The redshirt junior rocketed a 35-yard pass to T.J. Rahming and ran the ball up the field twice to total 23 yards, which put the Blue Devils in position for an early field goal. In the second quarter Jones showed his arm again with a monster 61-yard pass to put Duke at the 1-yard line. Jones would punch it in the end zone on the next play.

2. Brittain Brown shoulders the rush with ease

In his 2018 debut redshirt sophomore Brittain Brown has been electric for the Blue Devils, barreling through Army's front line with ease. Brown has taken the role of starting running back with ease, rushing for 54 yards and a touchdown early in the second quarter.

3. Duke has been slow to react to the triple option...

Although Army botched their opening drive with a forced fumble thanks to Victor Dimukeje, the Black Knights locked in immediately after. Army rushed for 59 yards before the Blue Devils could put a stopper on the surging Black Knight offense at the 16-yard line.

4. ...but has made up for it with clutch turnovers

In the first half alone, Duke has forced four fumbles to cut off any momentum the Black Knights were hoping to build. With contributions from Dimukeje, Michael Carter II and Trevon McSwain, the Blue Devils defense has come up big when needed most and put Duke in position to capitalize.

5. Player of the half: Dylan Singleton

Thanks to Army's consistent use of the triple-option offense, the Blue Devils have had to rely heavily on their safeties to contain the Black Knights' tricky rushes. Singleton has delivered for Duke, forcing an early fumble and recording  nine tackles—six solo—for the half.

Share and discuss “Five observations from Duke football's strong first half against Army” on social media.