Duke football's Daniel Jones to start Saturday against Virginia Tech

Starting quarterback Daniel Jones wound up just missing two games with a broken collarbone, as he will return Saturday night.

Three weeks ago at Northwestern, things on the injury front looked bleak. In addition to Mark Gilbert going down for the year, news broke that quarterback Daniel Jones would be sidelined indefinitely.

But just hours before the Blue Devils' ACC opener, Duke announced that its QB1 is back. 

Jones will return to the starting lineup Saturday night vs. Virginia Tech, just 20 days after undergoing surgery on a fractured left clavicle suffered on a sack at the end of the third quarter against the Wildcats. The return of the Blue Devils' three-year redshirt junior starter will be a major boost as Jones began the season with arguably the two most efficient games of his career. 

The Charlotte native has completed 74.4 percent of his 39 passes on the season, throwing for 389 yards while adding four touchdowns and no interceptions.

Redshirt junior Quentin Harris has looked strong in place of Jones, leading the Blue Devils to a pair of wins, highlighted by a 40-27 victory against Baylor in Waco, Texas. Harris is coming off a career-high 202-yard performance in Duke's 55-13 victory over N.C. Central last weekend and has impressed with his ability to throw the ball downfield, adding six touchdowns in the air without a pick.

The Blue Devils are set to host the Hokies Saturday at 7 p.m at Wallace Wade Stadium.

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Share and discuss “Duke football's Daniel Jones to start Saturday against Virginia Tech” on social media.