2018 Syracuse football season preview

2017 season: 4-8, 2-6 in the ACC (7th in the Atlantic Division)

Head coach: Dino Babers (3rd season)

Last season, Syracuse had a few highs with its many lows following a four-win campaign in 2016. After splitting their first six contests, the Orange took on then-No. 2 Clemson in a Friday night classic. Quarterback Eric Dungey threw for almost 300 yards and three touchdowns to give the Tigers their only regular season loss of 2017. But unfortunately for Syracuse, that upset would serve as the team’s fourth and final victory of the season, as the Orange's struggling defense gave up an average of 43.2 points per contest down the stretch.

Recently, Syracuse head coach Dino Babers officially announced that Dungey would be the quarterback for the team’s opening-week matchup with Central Michigan. The Orange's starting quarterback finished second in the conference in passing yards per game behind only Louisville’s Lamar Jackson. In Babers’ up-tempo offense, Dungey can use the entire field to look for the open passing windows.

If Syracuse wants to pencil themselves in for a bowl game this winter, the offensive side of the ball needs to continue scoring at a similar rate while the defense needs a complete turnaround. The Orange sat dead last in points given up a season ago as one of only two teams in the conference to concede more 30 points on average.

Dungey will be throwing to a less-familiar group this upcoming season following the graduation of his two top receivers. Steve Ishmael and Ervin Philips are both playing in the NFL with the Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, respectively. Syracuse will be challenged out of the gate in ACC play with meetings against Florida State and at Clemson in September.

Share and discuss “2018 Syracuse football season preview” on social media.