2018 Boston College season preview

2017 season: 7-6, 4-4 in the ACC (T-3rd in the Atlantic Division)

Head coach: Steve Addazio (6th season)

Although Miami and Clemson have established themselves for now as the top of the ACC pecking order, there is still plenty of room for other teams in the league to carve out a spot in the next tier. With question marks surrounding Louisville, Florida State and N.C. State, it may be Boston College's time to jump into the upper echelon of the Atlantic Division.

The biggest key to the Eagles' rise to the spotlight is the potential for an elite offense. The crux of that offense? A.J. Dillon, a sophomore running back who almost singlehandedly revitalized Boston College's 2017 season in a monster game against the Cardinals to send his team to the Pinstripe Bowl. The New London, Conn., native totaled 1,589 rushing yards in a season in which he didn't land a starting position until October.

Outside of Dillon, the rest of the Eagles' offensive scheme is oozing with both talent and experience. Boston College is returning its top three receivers and all five of its starting offensive linemen.

The final piece to the puzzle is redshirt sophomore quarterback Anthony Brown. Just as Brown looked to be hitting his peak in 2017, a knee injury sidelined him for the rest of the season. If Boston College's young quarterback can live up to the hype as a potential elite-level field general in the ACC, the Eagles have the trappings to cut holes in even the stingiest defenses. Couple that with a solid defensive unit, and Boston College has a real chance at establishing itself as one of the teams to beat in the ACC.

Share and discuss “2018 Boston College season preview” on social media.