Seven Blue Devils selected in the MLB Draft

<p>The Toronto Blue Jays chose slugger Griffin Conine with pick No. 52 in the MLB Draft.</p>

The Toronto Blue Jays chose slugger Griffin Conine with pick No. 52 in the MLB Draft.

The most successful week in Duke baseball’s history just became even more impressive. Within a few days of helping the Blue Devils advance to their first ever Super Regional appearance, seven members of the team were selected in the MLB Draft, tying a program record.

The first Duke product to be chosen was Griffin Conine, whom the Toronto Blue Jays drafted with the No. 52 overall pick. This season, the powerful right fielder led the Blue Devils in home runs, total bases, slugging percentage, OPS, and walks. Conine hopes to follow in the footsteps of his father, Jeff Conine, who helped the Marlins to win two World Series titles in his 17-year MLB career.

Two rounds later, the Chicago Cubs selected Jimmy Herron, Conine’s counterpart in the outfield. Herron, who led off and started every game in left field for Duke in 2018, embodies just about everything one could want from a hitter atop the lineup—great plate discipline, speed, and some pop. The team captain placed amongst the top ten batters in the ACC in doubles, runs, and stolen bases.

With the No. 375 overall pick, the Detroit Tigers tabbed catcher Chris Proctor as the third Blue Devil to be taken in the draft. Proctor has served as the primary catcher for Duke in each of the past three seasons. The Lawndale, N.C. native has always been known as a stellar defender behind the dish, but his bat saw great improvement in 2018, as he reached career highs in nearly every offensive category this year, including slugging percentage, on-base percentage, batting average, home runs, stolen bases, and RBIs.

Just nine selections after Proctor, the Pittsburgh Pirates picked another Blue Devil in shortstop Zack Kone. Kone has always been smooth in the field and a model of consistency at the plate. The three-year starter is among the top ten in the conference in both hits and doubles.

Ethan DeCaster became the first Duke hurler to be drafted when the Detroit Tigers opted for him in Round 18. The graduate transfer from Creighton has been an instrumental part of the Blue Devils’ bullpen, one of the top units in the nation. DeCaster has pitched to a 1.07 ERA, and an incredible 55 strikeouts and 5 walks in 50 innings pitched.

The Tampa Bay Rays selected Jack Labosky, Duke’s primary closer and third baseman, in Round 22. Labosky is best known for his utter dominance from the bullpen, and has become the Blue Devils’ all-time leader in saves.

Fresh off of a heroic performance in Regionals, left-handed pitcher Mitch Stallings became the seventh player from Duke to be drafted. The Atlanta Braves’ selection in Round 30 has had a bit of a tumultuous spring, with a 6.01 ERA, but has also led the Blue Devils in strikeouts.

In addition to the seven Duke players taken in the 2018 MLB Draft, two future Blue Devils were taken: Homewood Flossmoor High School pitcher Kyle Salley and Princeton transfer pitcher Benjamin Gross. Both Salley and Gross are expected to join Duke next year in lieu of pursuing a professional career immediately.

Share and discuss “Seven Blue Devils selected in the MLB Draft” on social media.