Duke picks up Healthy Campus Award for giving 'equal priority' to mental health resources

Duke's commitment to student health has been recognized as one of the best in the nation by the nonprofit organization Active Minds. 

The University is one of seven campuses nationwide to receive the Healthy Campus Award. According to the Active Minds website, the honor is given to colleges that provide resources for all types of student health and "give equal priority and investment to mental health" as to physical health.

“Colleges that are recognized with the Healthy Campus Award stand out because they invest in students’ physical and mental health on a comprehensive scale and for the long term,” said Alison Malmon, founder and executive director of Active Minds, in a press release. “They are a model of what’s possible when a school prioritizes a holistic approach to student success through a campus culture of health, resiliency, and well-being.”

The award comes after the construction of the new Student Wellness Center on West Campus, which was completed in January 2017. 

The 72,000-square-foot building houses Student Health, Counseling and Psychological Services, DuWell, a pharmacy, a mindfulness garden, meditation classes and even a piano. In October, the facility also gained a dental office, which is open for student appointments.

“The fact that we, for the first time in the history of the University, brought together all services and programs related to student wellness in one facility, I think, speaks volumes to the commitment Duke has made and continues to make to student wellness,” said Sue Wasiolek, associate vice president for student affairs and dean of students, in a Duke Today release.

Wasiolek noted that representatives from student health groups worked on compiling Duke's application for the award. The candidates then underwent an "extensive review process" and evaluation by a number of researchers and higher education experts, according to the Active Minds press release.

Other colleges receiving the honor included Arizona State University, Kent State University, Jefferson Community College, the University of Oregon, the University of South Carolina and the University of South Florida.

Share and discuss “Duke picks up Healthy Campus Award for giving 'equal priority' to mental health resources” on social media.