2018 NBA Draft: Suits that stood out

<p>Wendell Carter Jr. attended the 2018 NBA Draft in his best attire before getting drafted seventh.</p>

Wendell Carter Jr. attended the 2018 NBA Draft in his best attire before getting drafted seventh.

Three out of the five draft eligible Duke players were picked in the first round of the 2018 NBA draft and were invited to the Barclays Center to take part in the celebratory events in person. It has been a longstanding tradition for prospects to show up to the draft in their finest suits. Below is a breakdown of some of the most notable outfits worn last night.

Wendell Carter Jr.

Big man Wendell Carter Jr. who was selected seventh overall to the Chicago Bulls showed off his African roots by wearing a Black Panther themed scarf over his all-black Gucci suit. Carter topped off the performance by doing the “Wakanda Forever” salute while walking across the stage with his parents, who were also covered in their own Black Panther attire.

Trae Young

Trae Young, the skilled point guard coming out of the University of Oklahoma who stirred up a lot of controversy during his college season, continued to steal the spotlight as he wore LeBron James inspired suit shorts; he also decided against wearing socks which revealed his ankles, much like many other NBA prospects that night. Young was selected by the Dallas Mavericks fifth overall but was immediately traded to the Atlanta Hawks.

Marvin Bagley III

Selected second overall by the Sacramento Kings, Marvin Bagley III opted for a less extravagant suit compared to his peers which still had touches of originality and flair. Bagley’s grey and black outfit perfectly tailored to his lanky 6-foot-11 frame featured a drawing of his trademarked game face stitched in to the inside of his jacket. Bagley also wore silver-studded dress shoes and hopped on the no sock bandwagon.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 

The Kentucky point guard who made a statement in the 2018 NCAA March Madness, again made a statement with his draft outfit decision, choosing to rock a floral print pattern on his suit shirt, jacket and pants. Some might ask, what exactly is the statement he is trying to make? The world may never know. The world will however get to see how he fits in with the Los Angeles Clippers, who traded for his draft rights from the Charlotte Hornets who selected Gilgeous-Alexander eleventh overall. 

Grayson Allen

Former Blue Devil star Grayson Allen seemed less worried about style and more concerned with the actual event taking place, as he showed up in a black suit, a white shirt and a Duke blue tie to add some uniquity to his outfit. The Utah Jazz selected Allen 21st overall as he will head to Salt Lake City to play for Duke alumnus Quin Snyder. 

Share and discuss “2018 NBA Draft: Suits that stood out” on social media.