Former employee faces charges for trying to pawn Duke property

A former Duke employee is facing criminal charges for attempting to pawn Duke property. 

Troy Daniel Mortenson, a former employee of Duke Health Technology Services, was arrested in early April on two counts of obtaining property by false pretense after he tried to pawn Duke-owned computers at two Raleigh pawn shops, according to a WRAL report. A resident of Youngsville in Franklin County, Mortenson was employed at Duke for about a year before resigning in February 2018. 

He pawned a Lenovo laptop and an Apple iPad Air 2 at Picasso Pawn in Raleigh for $185 and another Lenovo laptop at National Jewelry and Pawn in Raleigh for $180, according to the arrest warrant. The two attempts occurred on Nov. 17 and Dec. 12 last year, respectively. 

The Wake County warrant claims that Mortenson had no right to pawn the devices because they were not his property to sell. Mortenson also faces five other charges of obtaining property by false pretense—two in Wake County and three in Durham County. All alleged crimes occurred between November 2017 and February 2018.

As of April 10, Mortenson is being held at Wake County Detention Center under a $40,000 secured bond. 

Duke Health Technology Services did not respond to requests for comment.

Share and discuss “Former employee faces charges for trying to pawn Duke property” on social media.