The Devil's in the Details: Duke will lose 86 percent of its scoring from last year

<p>Gary Trent Jr. became the third Blue Devil freshman to declare for the NBA draft earlier this week.</p>

Gary Trent Jr. became the third Blue Devil freshman to declare for the NBA draft earlier this week.

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details—and numbers. 

Each week, the Blue Zone will dissect five key numbers from last week's action in Duke sports, whether they be historic or underwhelming. This week, let the numbers take you inside some key departures from the men's basketball team and a strong win for men's lacrosse. 

86 percent

With the likely loss of its entire starting five, Duke men's basketball will have to replace 86 percent of its points scored heading into next season. Grayson Allen will graduate and Marvin Bagley III, Gary Trent Jr. and Trevon Duval have all declared for the NBA Draft. Wendell Carter Jr. is also overwhelmingly likely to declare as well. However, the Blue Devils will bring in the nation's top recruiting class for the second year in a row, which includes the No. 1, 2 and 3 recruits in the nation. 

Find out the whole story—Duke guard Gary Trent Jr. declares for NBA Draft, Duke's Trevon Duval declares for 2018 NBA Draft AND Duke's Marvin Bagley III declares for 2018 NBA Draft

32 

The No. 6 Blue Devils held No. 12 Notre Dame scoreless for the final 32 minutes of an 8-2 win Saturday. Duke goalie Danny Fowler had to stop just four shots all afternoon in the win, although the Fighting Irish were without their top two point-scorers. The Blue Devils will close out the regular season of conference play Saturday in Charlottesville against Virginia. 

Find out the whole story—Duke men's lacrosse holds Notre Dame to 2 goals in comfortable road win

18

Faced with a road test in tough weather conditions against the No. 2 team in the nation, Duke women's lacrosse folded, giving up 18 goals. Boston College downed the No. 15 Blue Devils 18-8 in what was the lowest scoring output for Duke all season. Duke struggled mightily with taking care of the ball, allowing the Eagles to force eight more turnovers than the Blue Devils. 

Find out the whole story—Duke women's lacrosse struggles with turnovers, falls to undefeated Boston College

2

Without star Nico Alvarez, Duke men's tennis dropped a pair of ACC matches against Louisville on Friday and Notre Dame on Sunday. Alvarez was representing his home country of Peru in the 2018 Davis Cup. The No. 18 Blue Devils fell 5-2 in both matches, sending their record to a meager 4-4 in conference play. 

Find out the whole story—Duke men's tennis loses pair of ACC matches without Alvarez

8

With the NFL Draft approaching, eight Blue Devils worked out Tuesday at Duke football's pro day. Four members of Duke's 2017 roster, including running back Shaun Wilson and center Austin Davis, showed off their skills, but ex-Blue Devil quarterback Thomas Sirk also returned. Sirk had transferred to East Carolina for his final season of eligibility, but now hopes to make it in the NFL as a tight end.  

Find out the whole story—Thomas Sirk returns to work out as tight end at Duke football's Pro Day

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “The Devil's in the Details: Duke will lose 86 percent of its scoring from last year” on social media.