A look ahead: Scouting Cam Reddish

<p>Reddish brings length and athleticism to a stacked recruiting class.&nbsp;</p>

Reddish brings length and athleticism to a stacked recruiting class. 

As college basketball has drawn to a close, the Blue Zone will take an early look at Duke’s incoming recruiting class—the top-ranked group in the nation. After scouting R.J. Barrett and Zion Williamson, we scout No. 3 overall recruit Cam Reddish: 

Scouting report: strengths

Cameron Reddish is the kind of prospect that NBA scouts drool over. Standing 6’7 with a 7’1 wingspan, he has excellent size and length for a shooting guard; and with his fluid athleticism, Reddish makes even the most difficult plays look easy. 

Reddish is arguably the most well-rounded freshman entering the college ranks next season. Ideally, he’s a wing who plays off the ball and hunts for his shot. But he has also shown the ability to handle the ball and make plays for his teammates, both in transition and in the half court. 

With his length and athleticism, Reddish has the potential to be a defensive stopper who can switch across at least three positions. Most importantly, Reddish possesses elite scoring potential and the skillset to score at all three levels. He has displayed the creativity to create his own shot and has a knack for drawing fouls and converting at the line. 

Scouting report: weaknesses

One of the top concerns for Reddish is his effort. At times, it seems like he’s simply going through the motions, coasting on his talent. Although he’s an impressive athlete, he doesn’t have the same explosiveness as fellow recruits Zion Williamson and R.J Barrett.  Moreover, at just 210 pounds, he could stand to put on some weight, especially if head coach Mike Krzyzewski expects him to switch onto power forwards. 

Finally, Reddish simply needs more polish to his game, especially with his ball handling, and jumpshot. He’s a streaky shooter from deep and has displayed questionable shot selection, often settling for tough jumpers. 

During the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League season, he shot just 28 percent from deep numbers. He’s also a little loose with his handle, something he will need to address before Coach K will give him meaningful reps as a ball handler. That being said, Reddish has all the tools to be a high-impact player at the next level, the question is whether he can put it all together. 

Recent Duke comparison:

Reddish, along with fellow recruits Barrett and Williamson, is next in the ever-growing line of impressive wing prospects to play at Duke. While there isn’t a perfect comparison for Reddish, his profile is similar to that of Rodney Hood.

The two share similar body types and both are smooth and fluid athletes—with Reddish grading out as the more explosive of the two. Hood developed into a reliable scorer and an excellent 3-point shooter and Reddish certainly has the potential to do the same. Hood was also limited defensively, and those concerns will carry over to Reddish if he doesn’t apply himself on that end of the floor.

Floor

Shooting is a big question mark on next year's Duke squad, so Krzyzewski will be depending on Reddish to develop into a consistent threat from beyond the arc in order to make space for Barrett and Williamson. If Reddish can’t deliver, not only will Duke’s chances at a national title take hit, but he will also severely hurt his draft stock. Reddish can impact a game in a number of ways, but nothing is more important than that jumper. 

Ceiling 

If Reddish proves to be a reliable shooter and an above-average perimeter defender, he could easily outshine his fellow recruits. He’s already considered a lottery pick in the 2019 draft, but improving those two skills could lead to a deep tournament run for Duke and an outside chance at a top-three pick. 

Share and discuss “A look ahead: Scouting Cam Reddish” on social media.