In support of the People's State of the University

As an organization that is devoted to shaping Duke students into informed and socially-aware young people and to ensuring justice and equitable opportunity for all, the Duke NAACP Chapter stands in full support of the brave student activists of the People’s State of the University. 

The Duke People’s State of the University demonstrates the power of coalition-building and illustrates how student labor has been, and continues to be, the foundation of Duke’s progress towards a more inclusive and forward-thinking community. 

Although Duke has ceased disciplinary action against the protestors, we suggest that Duke uses its resources and energy to spend time crafting legitimate and effective disciplinary processes for perpetrators of hate, bias and sexual assault on campus, issues that truly deserve disciplinary action. 

Peaceful protesters contribute to a greater Duke and a greater community. We hope that Duke learns to value students over its public image and interests, and we hope Duke rethinks its values about what it means to be a top tier institution. Duke must do better and face its history and its challenges head on.

In Solidarity, 

The Duke Chapter of the NAACP

Share and discuss “In support of the People's State of the University” on social media.