The Devil's in the Details: Duke loses its entire starting five

Duke will lose 86 percent of its scoring from this season.

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details—and numbers. 

Each week, the Blue Zone will dissect five key numbers from last week's action in Duke sports, whether they be historic or underwhelming. This week, let the numbers take you inside men's basketball losing its entire starting lineup and women's basketball's pair of WNBA Draft selections. 

86 percent

With Wendell Carter Jr.'s NBA Draft declaration Monday, Duke has officially lost more than 86 percent of its scoring from last season and its entire starting lineup.  Freshmen Marvin Bagley III, Gary Trent Jr., and Trevon Duval also declared for the draft over the last few weeks and senior Grayson Allen graduated. The Blue Devils should be able to replace much of that scoring next season with the ESPN 100’s top three players from the Class of 2018 coming in.

Find out the full story—Duke's Wendell Carter Jr. declares for 2018 NBA Draft

9 and 31

Duke women’s basketball graduate students Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell were selected in the WNBA draft Wednesday. Brown was taken by the Connecticut Sun in the first round with the ninth overall pick, while Greenwell was selected in the third round, 31st-overall by the Washington Mystics. Brown also became the first daughter of a former WNBA head coach to be drafted—her father Dee Brown had coached the Orlando Miracle and San Antonio Silver Stars.

Find out the full story—Duke women's basketball's Lexie Brown, Rebecca Greenwell selected in WNBA Draft

5

Duke baseball enters its matchup against No. 12 East Carolina Tuesday with five victories against ranked opponents on the season. The Blue Devils picked up their fourth and fifth wins in Tallahassee, Fla., this past weekend with a 7-1 and 6-5 victory on Friday and Saturday respectively against then-No. 10 Florida State. Duke will have an opportunity to add to its ranked win total with a three-game set against No. 4 N.C. State at home this weekend.

Find out the full story—Duke baseball looks for third-consecutive top-15 victory against East Carolina Tuesday

39

With her 6-1, 6-2 victory against Pittsburgh’s Gabriela Rezende Sunday, Duke women’s tennis’ Samantha Harris passed Reka Zsilinszka became the ACC’s singles wins record holder with her 39th career ACC victory. Harris will have a chance to build upon her record next weekend when the Blue Devils host North Carolina and Virginia Tech.

Find out the full story—Samantha Harris sets Duke women's tennis career ACC singles wins record in team sweep

94.7 percent

Following Duke men’s lacrosse’s 18-13 win against Virginia Saturday, the Blue Devils’ improved their win percentage against the Cavaliers to 94.7 percent, winning 18 of 19 games since 2005. The victory did not come easy for Duke, which saw a six goal advantage cut to one, before the Blue Devils netted six-consecutive goals of their own to take a commanding 18-11 lead.

Find out the full story—Duke men's lacrosse clinches No. 2 seed in ACC with road win at Virginia

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Share and discuss “The Devil's in the Details: Duke loses its entire starting five” on social media.