2018 NCAA tournament preview: No. 3 Michigan

Michigan Wolverines: 28-7, 13-5 in Big 10

Head coach: John Beilein (11th season)

Players to Watch: Moritz Wagner (14.5 PPG, 7.1 RPG, 52.9 FG%); Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman (12.6 PPG, 3.3 APG, 40.0 3PT%); Charles Matthews (12.6 PPG, 5.4 RPG, 49.3 FG%)

Season Recap: Coming into the season, Michigan was unranked and projected to finish sixth in the Big 10. Instead, the Wolverines have been remarkably consistent and finished the season with nine straight wins and their second straight Big 10 Championship. Now, the Wolverines are ranked seventh in the coaches poll and enter the NCAA tournament with a No. 3 seed. 

Michigan is arguably the hottest team in the country following its conference tournament run, and its resume boasts some impressive wins: at Texas, home against Ohio State, two wins against Michigan State and a victory against Purdue. 

These Wolverines are defined by their hard-nosed defense, finishing the season with a top 10 scoring defense in the nation. On the other side of the ball,  Michigan runs an egalitarian offense that loves to jack up 3-pointers. Led by sweet-shooting big man Moritz Wagner, these Wolverines are deep, experienced and hot at the right time. 

How they make a run: If the Wolverines' offense keeps humming and they force opponents out of their rhythm, Michigan can make an appearance in San Antonio for the Final Four.

How they falter: On the other hand, Michigan is extremely dependent on 3-pointers, and if those shots aren’t falling, the offense will struggle. Furthermore, the Wolverines are a poor free-throw shooting team, and when the game is tight down the stretch, a few missed free throws can make all the difference. 

Share and discuss “2018 NCAA tournament preview: No. 3 Michigan” on social media.