2018 NCAA tournament preview: No. 14 Bucknell

Bucknell Bison: 25-9, 16-2 in the Patriot League

Head coach: Nathan Davis (3rd season)

Players to watch: Zach Thomas (20.3 PPG, 9.2 RPG, 37.3 3FG%); Nana Foulland (15.4 PPG, 7.1 RPG, 60.0 FG%); Stephen Brown (14.9 PPG, 4.3 APG, 1.2 SPG)

Season recap: Bucknell enters the NCAA tournament as one of its hottest teams having won 18 of its last 19 games. After making the tournament last season and battling then-fourth-seeded West Virginia to a thrilling 86-80 defeat, the Bison return a veteran-laden team, with its best three players—forward Zach Thomas, center Nana Foulland and guard Stephen Brown—all in their final year of eligibility.

After dominating conference play and entering the Patriot League tournament as its No. 1 seeded team, Bucknell cruised through the final two rounds of the tournament, dispatching Boston University and Colgate by a combined 60 points after scraping by Loyola 83-78.

The senior trio shoulders the load offensively, scoring more than 62 percent of the Bison’s points this season. With Thomas and Foulland playing an inside-out game and Brown running the offense, Bucknell has the ability to score with most teams in the nation. However, they are not as strong defensively, as Bucknell stands 112th in the nation in basketball statistician Ken Pomeroy’s adjusted defensive efficiency rankings.

How they make a run: The seniors keep the team composed against third-seeded Michigan State, and Thomas hits key shots down the stretch to score a landmark upset.

How they falter: The Bison cannot contain the Spartan frontcourt in this senior group’s final outing together.

Share and discuss “2018 NCAA tournament preview: No. 14 Bucknell” on social media.