Duke in the NBA: Irving returns from injury, Hood shines in Cavaliers' debut

<p>Rodney Hood looked strong in his Cavaliers' debut Sunday scoring 15 points in just 19 minutes.</p>

Rodney Hood looked strong in his Cavaliers' debut Sunday scoring 15 points in just 19 minutes.

After a busy trade deadline week around the NBA, the Blue Zone takes a look at which former Blue Devils are making an impact in the league. 

Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics

After a red-hot start to the season, Tatum has encountered what some are calling the “rookie wall.” His scoring production has significantly dropped off, as well as his three-point percentage. The Celtics have suffered as a team, accordingly, dropping three of their last four, including 20-plus point losses to the Raptors and Cavaliers. In both of those games, Tatum scored in single digits. With the slide, Boston has now lost possession of first place in the Eastern Conference to Toronto. 

It is around this point in the season that all players begin to experience the fatigue that comes with an 82-game season, especially rookies. Becoming a new father is also likely taking an emotional toll on Tatum, so his dip in production is understandable. With the All-Star break looming, Tatum will get a chance to regroup and prepare himself for a strong closeout to his first regular season. 

Kyrie Irving, Boston Celtics

Irving missed the first two games of the month with a quad injury, but there do not seem to be any lingering effects. The Celtics superstar scored 28 points Thursday night in an overtime victory in Washington. He also helped Boston mount a 26-point comeback against the Pacers the next night, but the Celtics were unable to hold the late lead and fell just short. Sunday afternoon, Irving faced his rival and former teammate LeBron James as the Celtics hosted the Cavaliers. The 25-year-old guard got off to a fast start and erupted the crowd when he drilled a stepback jumper one-on-one over James after the Cavaliers’ star was unable to do the same on the other end. However, James got the last laugh as the new-look Cavaliers demolished the Celtics in the second half and spoiled Paul Pierce’s jersey retirement day, 121-99. 

The Celtics will look to get back on track when they host the Clippers Wednesday night. 

Rodney Hood, Cleveland Cavaliers

Hood was sent to Cleveland in the hours leading up to the NBA trade deadline Thursday afternoon. The three-team trade, which also involved the Sacramento Kings, was one of a series of transactions made by the Cavaliers in an attempt to revamp their roster following a disastrous month. In a surprising move, Cavaliers general manager Koby Altman decided to ship point guard Isaiah Thomas off to the Lakers, where he will play with former Duke star Brandon Ingram. In his first game with his new team, Hood helped Cleveland make a statement as he scored 15 points on 6-11 shooting in a blowout victory in Boston. 

The Cavaliers will face the Oklahoma City Thunder in a nationally-televised clash Tuesday night. 

Brandon Ingram, Los Angeles Lakers

In recent weeks, Ingram has begun to establish himself as a consistent contributor to a Lakers team on the rise. Despite the prolonged absence of point guard Lonzo Ball, the Lakers are winners of seven of their last ten, in large part due to Ingram. 

In Saturday’s loss to the Mavericks, Ingram scored 22 points, including 4-of-5 shooting from three-point range. Last Tuesday, he scored 26 against the Suns, making 9-of-16 field goal attempts without missing a single shot from deep. In addition, the 20-year old was only two rebounds away from recording a triple-double Feb. 2nd against the Nets, posting a 16/8/10 statline. The Lakers’ acquisition of Isaiah Thomas, who averaged almost 30 points per game last season, will reduce some of the scoring load placed on Ingram, but his increasingly aggressive mindset should ensure that he continues to fill up the stat sheet. 

The Lakers will visit New Orleans to take on the Pelicans Wednesday night. 

Jabari Parker, Milwaukee Bucks

Parker returned to the Bucks’ lineup Feb. 2nd after more than a year of recovery following the second ACL tear of his short career. The former second overall draft pick scored 12 points in his debut against the Knicks on a minutes restriction, and he has registered double-digit points in three of his four games played. As he readjusts to being on the court and as his minutes restriction is gradually lifted, expect Parker’s contributions to the team to grow. 

Milwaukee will host the Atlanta Hawks Tuesday night. 

J.J. Redick, Philadelphia 76ers 

Redick has continued to provide consistent scoring and a veteran presence and on an up-and-coming Philadelphia 76ers team. Saturday night, he scored 17 points and knocked down five three-pointers in a matchup against his former team, the Los Angeles Clippers. He also scored 18 points last Tuesday in a win against the Wizards. Redick is known for his range, and this season has been no different—his 41.2 percent shooting from deep is among the league’s best. 

The 76ers will host the New York Knicks Monday night.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Irving returns from injury, Hood shines in Cavaliers' debut” on social media.