Nikki Haley and Condoleezza Rice to speak at Duke

Two influential figures in global politics—Nikki Haley and Condoleezza Rice—are coming to Duke this spring to speak for the Program in American Grand Strategy. 

Haley will speak April 5 at Page Auditorium about “Global Governance Challenges,” wrote Melanie Benson, the program coordinator for AGS, by email. More details are not yet available. Rice will be visiting as part of her book tour for "Political Risk: How Businesses and Organizations Can Anticipate Global Insecurity," written with Amy Zegart. She will be speaking May 3 at Fuqua’s Geneen Auditorium. 

Haley has served as the current U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations since Jan. 2017. In order to serve as ambassador, she resigned from her position as governor of South Carolina—a post to which she was first elected in 2010 and reelected in 2014. She was the first female governor of South Carolina and second Indian-American governor in U.S. history.

Rice was the first African-American woman to serve as National Security Advisor, from 2001 to 2005, and Secretary of State, from 2005-2009. She has worked in international affairs since the Carter administration, and currently serves as a professor at Stanford University. Her book, expected to be released in May, addresses how businesses can manage risk and succeed in volatile global markets.

The Program in American Grand Strategy is a national security policymaking initiative across Duke designed to engage faculty, graduate students and undergraduates in understanding America’s role in global affairs. The program has brought in top strategists and leaders to speak in the past, including Mitt Romney and David Petraeus. 

Jake Satisky profile
Jake Satisky | Editor-in-Chief

Jake Satisky is a Trinity senior and the digital strategy director for Volume 116. He was the Editor-in-Chief for Volume 115 of The Chronicle. 

Share and discuss “Nikki Haley and Condoleezza Rice to speak at Duke” on social media.