HALFTIME: Duke 43, Georgia Tech 26

Grayson Allen jumped out to a fast start, scoring in double figures in the first half after combining for just 16 points in his last two games.

ATLANTA—Wanting to make a statement following back-to-back losses, the Blue Devils turned up their defensive intensity and suffocated the Yellow Jacket offense to take a commanding lead into the break.

No. 9 Duke’s size advantage coupled with a strong start for Grayson Allen has given the Blue Devils a 43-26 lead against Georgia Tech at halftime at McCamish Pavilion in Atlanta. Duke has dominated on the boards and owns a 25-15 edge. Allen also began the game attacking the basket with more energy and has also knocked down two triples. 

Duke is playing without Marvin Bagley III after the freshman suffered an injury against North Carolina, but fellow freshman big man Wendell Carter Jr. has picked up the slack. In his return to his hometown, Carter scored 10 points and grabbed four rebounds, including two thunderous alley-oops from Allen that brought the Duke-friendly crowd to its feet.

The Blue Devils began the game on a 9-0 run and never looked back, running the lead all the way up to 19. Josh Okogie was the only Yellow Jacket who could get anything going offensively, tallying 14 points.

Here are a few observations from the first half:

• The Blue Devils began the game with two changes to the starting lineup, as Marques Bolden filled in for the injured Bagley, but surprisingly Alex O’Connell also replaced Trevon Duval.
  • Duke frequently utilized a 1-2-2 full court press to prevent the Yellow Jackets from quickly initiating their offense and dropped back into a 2-3 zone for most of the half. The press also helped the Blue Devils force seven turnovers.
  • Duke’s zone defense looked more active than in recent weeks, with Javin DeLaurier and Carter particularly providing energy on the baseline.
  • The Blue Devils only shot five free throws in the first half as the Yellow Jackets were called for just six fouls.
  • After being lit up by the Tar Heels from beyond the arc, Duke has limited Georgia Tech to 2-of-10 shooting from the 3-point line. 

Share and discuss “HALFTIME: Duke 43, Georgia Tech 26” on social media.