X Factor: Can Trevon Duval get back on track against Georgia Tech?

Duval fouled out in just 20 minutes against North Carolina and turned the ball over four times.

After a heartbreaking loss to their archrivals on the road Thursday, the Blue Devils will look to rebound and avoid losing four of their last five games Sunday against Georgia Tech. The Blue Zone gives a player from each team that could be the difference in the game: 

Duke: Guard Trevon Duval

Coming to Duke, Trevon Duval was billed as a pass-first point guard who could initiate the offense and would represent a vast upgrade over the combination of Grayson Allen and Matt Jones from last season as a true point guard. 

But the freshman has struggled recently and has had issues taking care of the ball, racking up eight turnovers in his last previous two games, both Blue Devil losses. Duval, who was never billed as a knockdown shooter, has also had trouble from the field and is only shooting 25 percent from beyond the arc this season. 

For Duke to bounce back from back-to-back losses, they will need a steadying presence at the point guard position who can feed the ball inside to the strength of the team, Wendell Carter Jr and potentially Marques Bolden with Marvin Bagley III sidelined by a knee sprain. Duval has started almost every game this season and has earned the trust of head coach Mike Krzyzewski, but will need to take better care of the basketball for the Blue Devils to play up to their potential. 

Georgia Tech: Center Ben Lammers 

The Yellow Jackets come into Sunday's game reeling from a blowout loss at Louisville and rumors swirling around head coach Josh Pastner’s future following sexual assault allegations.

They will need a big game from Lammers, their senior leader, to steady the squad and help settle their nerves  playing against a Duke squad that will likely be on the attack. 

Lammers was a preseason first team All-ACC nominee following a breakout junior season, but has struggled thus far, battling injuries and increased defensive attention. The 6-foot-10 big man is averaging 11.3 points and 8.6 rebounds, both down from last year. 

Lammers will be heartened though by the success that the Tar Heels had on the offensive glass against the Blue Devils on Thursday however, when North Carolina grabbed 20 offensive rebounds. The senior will likely try to emulate that performance on Sunday night—Georgia Tech will need a similar rebounding performance to have a chance against Duke. 

This article was updated Sunday at 1 p.m. to include the news of Bagley's injury.

Share and discuss “X Factor: Can Trevon Duval get back on track against Georgia Tech?” on social media.