DUSDAC tests poultry-based barbecue food truck Chick-N-Que

Are your barbecue cravings not satisfied by The Skillet? Your wishes may soon come true.

At its Tuesday meeting, Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee sampled North Carolina Eastern-style Barbecue sandwiches from the Chick-N-Que food truck. The truck has been operating for nearly a decade, serving primarily poultry-based barbecue, and is in consideration to be added to circuit of food trucks operating at Duke. All poultry on the menu is from a local supplier in North Carolina, explained Chick-N-Que’s chefs and co-owners Ernest and Queen Harris.

“The idea that they get everything from North Carolina is really cool. The Nicholas School would really like them if they publicized that,” said sophomore Allie Rauch, a committee member. The Nicholas School is also one of the locations where food truck lunch hours are being piloted.

Some of the menu items in the Chick-N-Que truck include chopped chicken barbecue sandwiches, a black bean burger, chicken tenders and fries. Although traditional barbecue is often made of pork, Chick-N-Que makes its items from strictly poultry sources, the oweners said. 

The average price point for items is around $8, with two regular options costing only $5.50, similar to the price of a Devil Daily Deal.

Although The Skillet at the Brodhead Center also offers barbecue food options, committee members noted that sentiments around the Skillet’s barbecue offerings are generally negative. As such, Chick-N-Que likely wouldn't face much competition if it were incorporated into Duke's food truck offerings, they added.

The owners intend to add healthier options if Chick-N-Que is permitted into the food-truck rotation at Duke, noting that they could include bowls and sandwiches including hummus. 

Food allergies should not be a concern for students trying Chick-N-Que, Queen Harris noted. Since she has life-threatening food allergies, the truck avoids major food allergens—including peanuts, soy and corn. Gluten-free options are also offered, and additionally, dairy use is limited. 

DUSDAC members shared their enthusiasm for the pricing of the menu items, as well as the possibility of vegetarian options.

Although the committee did not make a decision about the food truck, noting that other contenders for the food-truck rotation still need to be seen, all members spoke highly of the quality of the food. 

Share and discuss “DUSDAC tests poultry-based barbecue food truck Chick-N-Que” on social media.