Key three: Duke needs to get its backcourt on track against Virginia Tech

Duke will need Allen and the rest of the backcourt back on track against Virginia Tech.

After a resounding 60-44 defeat of Syracuse Saturday, Duke will play its second-to-last regular season game against Virginia Tech Monday night. The Blue Zone gives three keys for the Blue Devils to come away with a win:

Get the backcourt back on track

Duke's starting guards struggled mightily against a tough Orange defense Saturday, finishing just 6-of-28 from the floor, including just 2-of-17 from deep. When the Blue Devils dispatched the Hokies Feb. 14, they leaned on a barrage of 3-pointers—something they will have to do again on the road. 

Grayson Allen in particular fell off with Marvin Bagley III back on the court, scoring just six points in a poor shooting effort after being the focal point of Duke's offense in its last four games. Allen and the Blue Devil backcourt will need to bring it Monday if they want to come away with a win. 

Limit Bibbs

In the teams' last matchup, Duke debuted its matchup zone defense, to great success. It started a defensive tear in which the Blue Devils have given up 57 points or fewer in their last four games. 

But while they shut down the Hokies' post players, they struggled to stop guard Justin Bibbs, who lit up Duke for 15 points, including three 3-pointers. The Blue Devils have been much stronger in their matchup zone on the perimeter, so they will have to continue that success Monday if they want to lock down Virginia Tech on offense. 

Don't look past Hokies to North Carolina

This game is the blueprint for a trap game for this team. Duke has had its road demons at times this season, and dropped a stunner to St. John's the game before it was slated to take on North Carolina last time around. 

Especially given how well the Blue Devils handled the Hokies last time around, they need to avoid looking past this game to Saturday's seismic matchup with the Tar Heels at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Duke is playing as well as it has all season, but a young team needs to stay focused on the present in order to avoid another slip-up on the road. 

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “Key three: Duke needs to get its backcourt on track against Virginia Tech” on social media.