2018 Icon: Grayson Allen

There's little doubt about which undergraduate is most recognizable on campus.

Grayson Allen is more than a Duke student or a basketball player. Although he dislikes being the center of attention, he's a constant topic of conversation among peers, fans and adversaries and a unifying force students can rally around in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

The captains of the Duke's men's basketball team are always put on a pedestal, and Allen's status is magnified since he does not share it with anybody else. For a program relying more than ever on one-and-dones, Allen has been a rare constant.

He is the only senior on the Blue Devils' roster and the only active varsity athlete in any sport who has won a team national championship at Duke. Allen enjoyed his star turn in the second half of that 2015 title game and carried his success into a breakout sophomore season. But his career has had pitfalls as well.

Nationally vilified for three tripping incidents and hampered by several injuries last year, Allen's production on the floor dropped dramatically. His numbers have remained inconsistent this season and his play has been overshadowed by younger teammates, but Allen is still the unquestioned leader of the team.

Editor's note: This profile is part of our new initiative called The Chronicle 18. We are highlighting 18 people and groups who are defining what it means to be at Duke this year. Read about the project and more of our selections.

Share and discuss “2018 Icon: Grayson Allen” on social media.