The Devil's in the Details: Inside Duke's defensive struggles

Duke has struggled to defend from the perimeter this season.

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details—and numbers. 

Each week, the Blue Zone will dissect five key numbers from last week's action in Duke sports, whether they be historic or underwhelming. This week, let the numbers take you inside a big win for Duke men's basketball and a tough loss for the women's team against Miami: 

21

No. 2 Duke received 21 first-place votes in Monday's release of the AP poll, 22 fewer than No. 1 Michigan State, which it beat in November. Since then, the Spartans are undefeated, with blowout wins of then-No. 9 North Carolina and then-No. 5 Notre Dame on their resume. 

Find out the whole story—Thoughts on the AP poll: Duke jumps to No. 2, Villanova falls to No. 3

37

In Duke's tight 100-93 win against then-No. 24 Florida State, Wendell Carter Jr. and Marvin Bagley III dominated the interior for the Blue Devils, combining for 37 rebounds—more than the entire Seminoles' team. As a whole, Duke outrebounded Florida State 53-35. They did it despite foul trouble—both Carter and Bagley played for long stretches with four fouls apiece. Bagley led the team with 32 points and 21 rebounds. 

Find out the whole story—Bagley's career day lifts Duke men's basketball to ACC win vs. Florida State AND Freshmen play through foul trouble to score Duke's last 20 points, get key stops

81

Despite being the most efficient offensive team in the nation in basketball statistician Ken Pomeroy's rankings, Duke ranks a paltry No. 81 in defensive efficiency. The Blue Devils have struggled in particular in defending from beyond the arc, ranking No. 222 in the nation in 3-point percentage allowed after allowing Florida State to knock down 15-of-32 tries from deep. 

Find out the whole story—Bagley's career day lifts Duke men's basketball to ACC win vs. Florida State

22

Against a Miami team that had forced the eighth-most turnovers in the nation before Sunday, then-No. 14 Duke women's basketball turned the ball over an astounding 22 times. Star guard Lexie Brown coughed it up nine times to negate her eight steals. This wasn't just an isolated occurrence—it was the Blue Devils' fifth game with at least 19 turnovers this season. 

Find out the whole story—Duke women's basketball's loss at Miami doomed by 22 turnovers AND Duke women's basketball's backcourt goes silent in loss at Miami in ACC opener

6

Before he announced that he would be transferring from Duke, small forward Jordan Tucker scored just six points in two games played for the Blue Devils. Tucker was the 42nd-ranked recruit in the class of 2017, according to ESPN, but could never carve out a role for himself in Duke's rotation. A press release from Duke said that he left the school in good academic standing and intends to transfer to another Division I school to play. 

Find out the whole story—Freshman Jordan Tucker to transfer from Duke men's basketball

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “The Devil's in the Details: Inside Duke's defensive struggles” on social media.