Duke in the NBA: Jayson Tatum helps Celtics mount 22-point comeback

<p>Tatum's scoring lagged behind expectations over the last week.&nbsp;</p>

Tatum's scoring lagged behind expectations over the last week. 

Just past the midway point of the 2017-18 NBA season, the Blue Zone takes a look at which former Blue Devils are making an impact in the league.

Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics: 

Tatum and the Celtics had a light week, with four days off following their trip to London. While there, Tatum played a pivotal role in the Celtics’ comeback victory against the 76ers. After failing to make his presence felt in the first half, the 19-year-old rookie made his first five shots of the third quarter, in which which Boston outscored Philadelphia 37-22.

Tatum finished the game with 16 points, and the Celtics mounted a 22-point comeback to win 114-103. He chipped in another 10 points in Tuesday’s home loss to the Pelicans, which snapped Boston’s seven-game winning streak.

In other news, Tatum announced Saturday that he has become a father. He posted a picture of his newborn son, Jayson Tatum, Jr., dressed in Duke gear on Instagram.

Kyrie Irving, Boston Celtics: 

Irving has developed a reputation for his clutch scoring, and for good reason—the 25-year-old guard ranks among the league’s best in clutch time efficiency. 

But in Tuesday’s 116-113 overtime loss to the Pelicans, Irving missed a crucial free throw and a late three-pointer which led to the Celtics’ defeat. He did, however, finish with 27 points despite shooting 8-of-24 from the floor. In Boston’s London victory against the 76ers, Irving contributed 20 points and 7 assists.

In the latest All-Star fan voting tally, Irving was in first place for Eastern Conference guards by over 800,000 votes, so it would appear that the Duke product will once again be starting in the All-Star Game.

The Celtics will meet the 76ers again Thursday night in Boston.

Austin Rivers, Los Angeles Clippers:

Rivers has missed the last nine games with an Achilles injury, but that did not stop him from making headlines Monday night. During the Clippers’ win against Houston, Rivers was involved in an altercation with Rockets guard Trevor Ariza that culminated in the police being called when ex-Clipper Chris Paul led a group of his teammates through a back entrance into the Los Angeles locker room after the game.

The Clippers, who have won five games in a row (including double-digit victories against the Warriors and Rockets), will host the Denver Nuggets Wednesday night.

Brandon Ingram, Los Angeles Lakers: 

Ingram played a huge role in last Thursday’s surprising upset of the San Antonio Spurs, leading his team with 26 points. He suffered a minor left knee sprain Saturday in the second quarter of the Lakers’ win against the Mavericks, but he does not expect to be out for long. 

The Lakers will head to Oklahoma City to take on the Thunder Wednesday night.

Justise Winslow, Miami Heat: 

Winslow returned to action Sunday against the Bucks after missing 14 games due to a knee injury. The young forward played a limited 13 minutes and recorded three points, four rebounds, and four assists. The following night he played 21 minutes, scoring four points to go along with six rebounds and four assists.

The surging Heat will visit the Milwaukee Bucks Wednesday evening.

J.J. Redick, Philadelphia 76ers:

Like the Celtics, the 76ers only played two games this week due to their trip to London. In their matchup with Boston, Redick drilled five threes and scored 22 points. Monday night, he played an large part in Philadelphia’s upset of the second-seeded Toronto Raptors, scoring 15 points, but sustained a leg injury in the fourth quarter of that contest and is expected to be sidelined for 10 days to two weeks.

The Sixers will take on the red-hot Celtics, who have won seven of their last eight, at the TD Garden Thursday night.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Jayson Tatum helps Celtics mount 22-point comeback” on social media.